Anyone have problems with Twin Air filters on their WR ?

21 replies to this topic
  • tony1970

Posted August 28, 2006 - 09:07 PM

I just bought two Twin Air filters to replace the stock ones I had that fell apart. I rode for the first time last weekend with the new filter a total of 50 miles in dusty conditions with four other bikes. After removing the filter today I saw a lot of fine hazy dust in the air boot, more than I would expect from any filter. I use the proper amount Maxima FFT oil and I grease the filter lip. There was no sign of lip leakage or an leak on the air boot. After pulling the filter cage you could see a dust build up on the backfire screen as the dust passed through the filter. I am wondering if the reduced size of the Twin Air could cause this by reducing the amount of foam area? Has anyone found that they have problems with the Twin Air on their WR passing dirt? I used UNI filters for years on my old bikes and never had this problem. I paid too much money to screw up my engine on crap filters. :thumbsup: Thanks to all.

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2006 - 09:09 PM

I've been running Twin Airs since day 1 and haven't had any issues...SC

• tony1970

Posted August 28, 2006 - 09:12 PM

I've been running Twin Airs since day 1 and haven't had any issues...SC

Hey, congrats new moderator! :thumbsup: Even after dusty rides you see no hazing of dust?

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2006 - 09:20 PM

Hey, congrats new moderator! :thumbsup: Even after dusty rides you see no hazing of dust?

Only if I do Sand Mountain or wreck pretty good. If the "haze" is powder fine, provided it's not in great abundance, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Particles the size of common house dust are virtually harmless and will likely atomize in the combustion chamber. That's all I've ever seen in mine...SC

• Blue by u

Posted August 28, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I use Twin Air filters and Maxima FFT oil. Its dusty 70% of the time but I have never had a problem.Are you using enough oil?.I hear K & N filters are really good for dust and sand.

2005 WR450

• ARin

Posted August 28, 2006 - 09:34 PM

I use Twin Air filters and Maxima FFT oil. Its dusty 70% of the time but I have never had a problem.Are you using enough oil?.I hear K & N filters are really good for dust and sand.

2005 WR450

you heard wrong about the K&N's.

if you LIKE your bike, then you will never let one of those things near it.

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2006 - 09:49 PM

K&N filters are good for sand and dirt...directly injecting into your cylinder that is :thumbsup: ...SC

• tony1970

Posted August 28, 2006 - 10:00 PM

2005 WR450

Maybe I am not using enough oil. I work the oil in really well, like I have for years. Maybe I should start doing the dunk and squeeze method. I just have never seen this much dust haze, even with the stock filters. i know you cannot stop all the dust but it seemed excessive to me. I have been told Twin Air filters are good, but this is the first time I have used them. BTW K&N filters do stink. I could never get the one for my old XR400 to seal. A waste of $50.

• GCannon

Posted August 29, 2006 - 08:05 AM

If you want a scare hold a clean K&N filter up to the light and look through it. That will be the last time you even think about one ever again. K&N filters actually rely on the dirt and dust on the filter element to improve filtration.

Try more oil on the twin air they seem to work well for me.

• ARin

Posted August 29, 2006 - 10:12 AM

If you want a scare hold a clean K&N filter up to the light and look through it. .

i assume you are talking about the glints of light you can see through the filter...and you are right, damn scary. its like a piece of cheesecloth.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 30, 2006 - 06:10 AM

I've always used Uni's with great results.

• BajaFool

Posted August 30, 2006 - 09:22 AM

Tony1970,
I bought a new genuine Yamaha Air Filter for a spare when I took delivery of my 2003 WR450F. The filter came in a sealed bag, with Genuine Yamaha on the label and a Yamaha part number. The filter had Twin Air printed on the foam. I use A LOT of Maxima Spray-On Foam Air Filter Oil on my filters. I have never seen any dust in the intake boot of either my 2003 or my 2006 WR. My experience with Uni-Filters in both my 2-cycle Yamahas and my 1999 Ford F250 Super Duty truck is that this brand of filter is too restrictive. My 1995 Yamaha 250WR immediately ran rich and began fouling spark plugs when I replaced the stock Yamaha foam filter with a Uni-Filter. I put a stock Yamaha filter back into the motorcycle and the rich condition went away.

I replaced the stock paper filter on my truck with a Uni-Filter foam filter. I have a vacuum gauge mounted on the filter housing in my truck. The vacuum gauge immediately showed readings of several more inches of vacuum using the Uni-Filter foam filter over the just removed dirty paper filter.

I called Uni-Filter and discussed the issue with one of their "techies". After some discussion, he invited me to visit their factory in the Los Angeles area, down by Disneyland. So, I took the offer. I visited the factory, got the "tour" and watched as my filters were flow tested. My dirty paper filter flowed more air than my new Uni-Filter foam filter or one that they took off of the assemby line. Their explanaton was that their filter traps more dirt than a paper filter. Remember in all of this that they did not say that the paper filter was passing an unacceptable amount of dirt, just that their filter passed less dirt. I went home, took the Uni-Filter out of the truck and put it in a dark corner of the garage attic, never to be seen again. Incidently, several friends over the years have experienced the same rich condition with Uni-Filters in 2-cycle engines.

Finally, let me add my thoughts on K&N air filters. They are popular on race cars because they flow air in a nearly unrestricted fashion. Horsepower is the name of the game in auto racing and engines are rebuilt regularly, often after only several hundred miles of use. These filters are particularly popular for off-road racing for the above reasons. In addition, K&N filters are better suited than a paper filter when the engine will be subjected to wet or muddy conditions. But, have you ever looked at the extreme dusty condition kit that K&N markets --- it is a foam filter cover that fits over the K&N filter. Bottom line, if you rebuild your engine VERY regularly, use a K&N filter if you want. If you are the average rider who wants to see several thousand miles of trouble free riding from your motorcycle, avoid the K&N filter.

• tony1970

Posted August 30, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Tony1970,
I bought a new genuine Yamaha Air Filter for a spare when I took delivery of my 2003 WR450F. The filter came in a sealed bag, with Genuine Yamaha on the label and a Yamaha part number. The filter had Twin Air printed on the foam. I use A LOT of Maxima Spray-On Foam Air Filter Oil on my filters. I have never seen any dust in the intake boot of either my 2003 or my 2006 WR. My experience with Uni-Filters in both my 2-cycle Yamahas and my 1999 Ford F250 Super Duty truck is that this brand of filter is too restrictive. My 1995 Yamaha 250WR immediately ran rich and began fouling spark plugs when I replaced the stock Yamaha foam filter with a Uni-Filter. I put a stock Yamaha filter back into the motorcycle and the rich condition went away.

I replaced the stock paper filter on my truck with a Uni-Filter foam filter. I have a vacuum gauge mounted on the filter housing in my truck. The vacuum gauge immediately showed readings of several more inches of vacuum using the Uni-Filter foam filter over the just removed dirty paper filter.

I called Uni-Filter and discussed the issue with one of their "techies". After some discussion, he invited me to visit their factory in the Los Angeles area, down by Disneyland. So, I took the offer. I visited the factory, got the "tour" and watched as my filters were flow tested. My dirty paper filter flowed more air than my new Uni-Filter foam filter or one that they took off of the assemby line. Their explanaton was that their filter traps more dirt than a paper filter. Remember in all of this that they did not say that the paper filter was passing an unacceptable amount of dirt, just that their filter passed less dirt. I went home, took the Uni-Filter out of the truck and put it in a dark corner of the garage attic, never to be seen again. Incidently, several friends over the years have experienced the same rich condition with Uni-Filters in 2-cycle engines.

Finally, let me add my thoughts on K&N air filters. They are popular on race cars because they flow air in a nearly unrestricted fashion. Horsepower is the name of the game in auto racing and engines are rebuilt regularly, often after only several hundred miles of use. These filters are particularly popular for off-road racing for the above reasons. In addition, K&N filters are better suited than a paper filter when the engine will be subjected to wet or muddy conditions. But, have you ever looked at the extreme dusty condition kit that K&N markets --- it is a foam filter cover that fits over the K&N filter. Bottom line, if you rebuild your engine VERY regularly, use a K&N filter if you want. If you are the average rider who wants to see several thousand miles of trouble free riding from your motorcycle, avoid the K&N filter.

Thanks for the info. The consensuse seems to be I am not using enough oil. :thumbsup: The more oil the better it seems. Time to start doing the dunk and squeeze. :applause: Were the Yamaha filters you bought the GYTR ones?

• jtrone

Posted August 30, 2006 - 10:29 AM

One thing that I have noticed is when it's really hot (Summer time), the blue twin air oil I put on my filter, a lot of it seems to come of and is all over the bottom of the my air box, has anyone else noticed this?? :thumbsup: Or am I just putting to much oil on my filter?

• BajaFool

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Tony1970,
I bought the stock Genuine Yamaha filter, not the GYT-R filter.

• Irregular Pulse

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:30 AM

so like with a can of filter oil how much are we talking here for each app.? Like half a can or 10 seconds of continuous spray?

• BajaFool

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:31 AM

Tony1970,
I pushed the send key too soon. Let me add some more to this discussion. I always, WITHOUT FAIL, use a lot of wheel bearing grease around the base of my air filter each time that I re-install it in the motorcycle. Then, I carefully check to ensure that the filter is properly seated against the air box and the edge of the filter is under the filter cage assy.

• Blue by u

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:43 AM

Wow thanks for the info on K & N filters. I thought they were as good as the ones for a car.Guess I'll stinck to twin air.Also I live in Canada and the K & N is $99 before tax.

• glasseye

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:53 AM

When I was running a WR426, I posted that the Twin-Air filters would allow fine dust through. The stock filter would not. No one acknowledged that they also saw this "problem". I have since never purchased or recommended a Twin-Air filter.

Maybe the dust is so fine that it doesn't seem to cause any adverse affects. IMO, fine dust is still abrasive, it just causes slower wear that larger dust particles. Does it actually promote wear an problems? Don't know and if you rationalize it, it must increase air flow if it allows particles through, maybe that outweighs that dust concern

• tony1970

Posted August 30, 2006 - 03:11 PM

When I was running a WR426, I posted that the Twin-Air filters would allow fine dust through. The stock filter would not. No one acknowledged that they also saw this "problem". I have since never purchased or recommended a Twin-Air filter.

Maybe the dust is so fine that it doesn't seem to cause any adverse affects. IMO, fine dust is still abrasive, it just causes slower wear that larger dust particles. Does it actually promote wear an problems? Don't know and if you rationalize it, it must increase air flow if it allows particles through, maybe that outweighs that dust concern

glasseye,
What brand of filters do you run now?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.