wr tranny problems? chime in!

6 replies to this topic
  • flipt86

Posted August 28, 2006 - 08:37 PM

:thumbsup: hey all, first of all, i have searched these forums for hours and read lots of great info, but have a few questions. My f4i is getting old to me, and I really would like to get a wr450 and turn it into a street tard. I have heard the arguements against it, so let me tell you what it would be used for: Around town commuter, to work, school, downtown, up and down the mountains i live in. It would never see constant or steady rpm's and would never be on the freeway as i would never set out of town on it. That's what other bikes are for, or the back of my truck. Also very little stop and go, i could always add a fan, but don't think i would need it. Oil changes and valve checks are a given, maintenence i am up on, won't let that slide...my question is, if i get a cush drive rear hub from talon, will the tranny last me for a while? I have heard of 5th going out of these pretty often if ridden on the road for a while. I would put between 5k to 10k on it a year, what kind of milage do you guys think i could get out of the tranny? besides this i have gathered that these bikes are bullet proof when maintained, are there any other shortcomings that you guys could think of for my application besides the week 5th gear? cheers and thanks

• Alley Cat

Posted August 28, 2006 - 10:56 PM

Streeting the bike is a lot different to racing the bike....
It should last, I haven't really heard of too many '05+ WR's dropping 5th gear or bending shift forks.

As you already know, dont be shy when it comes to your oil changes.

• pkcof

Posted August 29, 2006 - 01:00 AM

well .... it also wouldn't hurt to go one tooth up on the front for starters, this should give you good cruising speed whilst lowering the revs a little. The 450 (once set up correctly) has plenty of power to pull the slightly taller gearing ...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted August 29, 2006 - 01:46 AM

These bikes do not have cush-drive which can make them (all bikes not intended for street use, WR, CRFx, CRF, ECX, etc.) rough on drive components (chain, sprocket, tranny) because the level of traction is much greater on street than in dirt. That added traction and 'snappy' throttle action (accel and decel) transmits sharper, higher loads to the drive components.

Cush drive is a rubber coupler inside the rear hub that engages the drive sprocket. Rapid changes in traction or throttle are absorbed in the instead of the drive line components.
All my factory street leagal DS bikes have had it.
I'm not saying don't tard the WR, just keep thin in mind while running on the street.

• WR_Dave

Posted August 29, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Get the Talon cush drive set up and I think you will have many trouble free miles with the WR in 'tard mode. So I'll call it a YES the tranny should be OK. WR Dave.

• simon@vic

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:49 AM

it will be fine!!!!!

i had over 45000km on mine before i needed rings, shift forks and some trans gears!!!!!!!!! quite allot of it was motard on the {twisty}highway with sport bikes, doing high speed wheelies in 5th for ever, and drifting. NO cush drive, 45000km, i would day they are built to last. in fact the only reason i needed any tranny parts when i did the rings was because of 1000s of sloppy shifts at full throttle with the front wheel 6 feet in the air.

good luck and have fun!

• PfM

Posted August 29, 2006 - 02:09 PM

it will be fine!!!!!

i had over 45000km on mine before i needed rings, shift forks and some trans gears!!!!!!!!! quite allot of it was motard on the {twisty}highway with sport bikes, doing high speed wheelies in 5th for ever, and drifting. NO cush drive, 45000km, i would day they are built to last. in fact the only reason i needed any tranny parts when i did the rings was because of 1000s of sloppy shifts at full throttle with the front wheel 6 feet in the air.

good luck and have fun!

You have over 45,000km on an '04 ?
That is some serious mileage in 2 to 3 years - no other problems ?

BTW: KTM 625 SXC's don't have cush drive and I don't think the SMC's do either. You don't get much more roadable, long lived machines than that.

Cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.