XR650R fixes

6 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted August 28, 2006 - 07:15 PM

It seems the countershaft seal, right peg issue, and choke plate were all on the fix it list with this bike, but were there any others? And, were the issues corrected by Honda prior to the 2006 year or? Please let me know if you can. Thanks

• Kritter

Posted August 28, 2006 - 07:18 PM

CS seal was fixed in 01 or 02 I believe.

Choke plate is not a required fix...I have only heard of it failing once.

RIght peg...I know a bit about those and honda wont be changing their design anytime soon.

an 02 is basically the same as an 06 other then graphics and seat cover...

• hypersthenos

Posted August 28, 2006 - 07:23 PM

Don't forget the clutch bushing, which the inner, driven hub rides on when the clutch is released. If it fails the inner hub is seized to the shaft & the next thing you know your parked halfway up a tree or on the trunk of the car in front of you. This only applies to 00-02 models & was updated after that. It's a cheap simple fix.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted August 28, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Yes, I remember this. Thanks!... please remind me what to do or watch out for with my new 2006 XR650R...

• KeithBoyd

Posted September 02, 2006 - 01:57 AM

Stock thermostat sticking open causing overcooling...especially on the street......

• azfabguy

Posted September 02, 2006 - 08:23 AM

loctite the kick starter bolt

• BWB63

Posted September 02, 2006 - 03:14 PM

Not all the newer then, 2002 bikes have the newer CS seal or the newer clutch bushing. Honda kept using the old parts and there has been some 2005's that were found with the old parts. My 2003 had both the old parts.

There are a few other differences through the years....there was some engine cases that were thicker on one side to dampen noise, and in 2005 Honda put compression valves in the forks that have much smaller holes, making the forks much harsher but, better for the big boys here in the USA. It would have been much better if they would have gone stiffer springs and thinner quality thinner fluid but, you don't make money that way......and don't forget the "New Bold Graffix that come out each year!!!!

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.