Xr-cr-xl600

81 replies to this topic
  • Leget

Posted August 27, 2007 - 05:03 PM

I have a lot of extra parts for the xr600r, If you still need something let me know

Jesse

Thanks for the offer....I'll let you know if there's anything I'm missing.

Welcome to TT!:applause:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:01 AM

do you have any left side panels? or right side engine cases? i would like to convert my 650L to kickstart. so any of the kickstart parts i would like.

If you go for it, when you split the cases to put in the countershaft you could put in an XR600R trans and get rid of the 1-2 gap!

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted August 28, 2007 - 12:19 PM

If you go for it, when you split the cases to put in the countershaft you could put in an XR600R trans and get rid of the 1-2 gap!

Dave

only difference?

• Richie B

Posted August 28, 2007 - 03:36 PM

:worthy:

i can see your putting alotta effort into the bike. GREAT job :thumbsup:

im awaiting a nice test ride report :ride:

• Jesserosco

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:31 AM

I have an extra left side panel, it is super clean but was painted grey by the previous owner. The only extra engine case I have has a huge hole through the bottom where the connecting rod snapped and blew it out. I do have an extra transmission and countershaft and stuff so I would suggest figuring out exactly what you need to convert it to kickstart. If you do use the 600r transmission you are going to lose out on the top end, but it will have a lot more balls down low.

• martinfan30

Posted August 29, 2007 - 09:36 AM

http://www.thumperta...t=488872&page=3

every thing in the 2nd and 3rd pics halfway down this page.

• Jesserosco

Posted August 29, 2007 - 11:55 AM

I will dig the parts up and post a pic on here or pm you to see if its what your looking for. shouldnt be but a couple hours till i get off work. I dont use the kickstarter decompression on mine but have a side case that is set up for it with the parts. I will send pics

• Jesserosco

Posted August 29, 2007 - 02:46 PM

I sent you a pm so you can email me

• martinfan30

Posted August 29, 2007 - 02:48 PM

got it.

• Jesserosco

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:44 AM

Did you get my email with pics?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:09 AM

wont know till i get home.

• Leget

Posted January 12, 2008 - 07:12 AM

Man this bike has been sitting in the garage for a long time.....and sadly this is a non-progress report.

I got tired of turning wrenches and Santa left an '07 XR650L under the tree.

This XR600/XL600 hybrid is about 95% complete, just need a chain, some bolts on the suspension linkage, and an air filter.

I still need to do some fab work, I need to make a mount for the rear shock res. and I need to move the carbs back about 1/4 to 1/2".

I did try to start it up, and it will idle for a minute, the carbs are in bad shape, I tried to take them apart and clean them up the best I could.
They need a rebuild kit (new gaskets) at the least. I'd like to just find a good set to replace them with.

I haven't given up on the old Pig...it will be finished...someday.

I've got an almost complete XL600 chassis that I need to sell on eBay (I've got two other project bikes that need to "move on"...an '82 DR250 and a '74 MT125)....if anyone is looking for a project bike or two.....or three.

• Nummie

Posted June 23, 2008 - 08:23 AM

Any progress?

• Leget

Posted July 05, 2008 - 04:19 AM

Any progress?

No...no progress with this one.

I've been watching eBay for a set of carbs....apperantly the ones they have been selling are gold plated because they are going for allot of $$$.

This one will probably stay on the back burner and will be this winters project bike.

• martinfan30

Posted July 05, 2008 - 01:26 PM

No...no progress with this one.

I've been watching eBay for a set of carbs....apperantly the ones they have been selling are gold plated because they are going for allot of $$$.

This one will probably stay on the back burner and will be this winters project bike.

Try PM'ing zrxer. He may have some resources.

• Leget

Posted August 27, 2011 - 02:15 PM

WOW..................three years later..........:lol:

And its 98% done!
But it's complete enough to ride! :)
I just need a couple of nuts and bolts and some clamp on air filters.

Actually took it for a couple of test rides (in the neighborhood) the other day.
And it runs great, it does need some jetting adjustments but for a 27 year old engine, it is awesome.

Posted Image

I've still got the L......so after all that, this one might be heading to Craigslist or eBay. :)

The to-do list is amazingly short just a couple of things to finish up, for example:

This is a twin carb engine in a single carb frame so the airboots wouldn't work (too short). I'm going to use clamp on filters for the carbs.

The carbs also got in the way of the shock bottle mounting location so I'm going to make a mount on the airbox for it.

Other than that it's just minor things like fork seals and its missing the exhaust clamp, a bolt here, a bolt there........and I just noticed the grips don't match!;)

I'm just really happy its moving under it's own power!;)

• Leget

Posted August 27, 2011 - 02:17 PM

Dang....if I would have noticed, I would have waited until tomorrow to post this.

It would be 5 years to-the-day!

• mercb17

Posted August 27, 2011 - 02:26 PM

I agree with powder coating. I redid my 91 BRP and the indestrucible por-15 is well destructible ,albeit heavy abuse was involved.K.I.S.S. is the best go old school blood red , black or go to the dark side and change to silver "eli" style. Sorry to add in but thought of flat colors ? Peace

• MentalGuru

Posted August 27, 2011 - 02:52 PM

I believe an XR600R twin carb air box will fit if you are using a centered shock. The box is the same as a single carb XR box, the dual carb boot bolts right on

I'll dig mine up and check it out.

• Leget

Posted August 27, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I tried a number of different configurations, I have both boots, the single and the double.

They are interchangeable....but the boots themselves are about an inch or two too short.
The boot cant be moved forward from the airbox because they hit the shock.
I even tried to move the carbs back with a custom spacer but then the carbs hit the frame.

The clamp-ons will have to do.....maybe the next owner could fab a set of custom airboots....but the the shock bottle will then need to be relocated.

Maybe I should get a set of street tires for it and it could be a full-time supermoto bike.
Actually.....I'm just about done with this bike..gonna finish the to do list and start looking for a new owner for this bike.

I've got another project or two waiting on this one to get out of the way.
I've got a '99 KX125 for my son and a '85 YZ250 just for fun.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.