Xr-cr-xl600

81 replies to this topic
  • Leget

Posted October 08, 2006 - 02:25 AM

u should have just bought a xr600 and just redid all the paint the way you wanted it.

How much fun would that have been?

Yes there is some frustration but I enjoy projects like this.

I was going to rebuild the XL; then I got a good deal on the XR chassis so things got mixed up for a minute. :thumbsdn:
I thought I could use allot of parts from the XL but I'm finding out differently.

I'm just taking two basket-cases and making one decent bike, the problem is they are two different motorcycles. :devil:

• Leget

Posted October 08, 2006 - 02:30 AM

This isn't the first time a project has went like this for me....I was rebuilding a '84 Z50 for my daughter and ending up with what is basically an '03 XR50......take a look at my "garage".

• soccermania688

Posted October 08, 2006 - 09:59 AM

u got some nice bikes, alot!!! i was just kidding when i said that, i know what you mean. i have a 1987 xl600r(white plastic year) its in really good condition, i bought it for only $200 and all it needed was a sprocket set!! the suspensions is good enough i guess for what i use it for(light trail riding) and you cant beat the price either. i was considering do something like you are doing now.

• Leget

Posted October 08, 2006 - 06:57 PM

u got some nice bikes, alot!!! i was just kidding when i said that, i know what you mean. i have a 1987 xl600r(white plastic year) its in really good condition, i bought it for only $200 and all it needed was a sprocket set!! the suspensions is good enough i guess for what i use it for(light trail riding) and you cant beat the price either. i was considering do something like you are doing now.

Thanks, I'm thinking I need to "thin the herd" a little. I've got way too many project bikes....I like working on them, but I like riding allot more.

If you decide to redo the suspension on that XL, let me know...maybe I can give you some help.
Or you could at least be able to avoid the mistakes I've made :devil:.

• Leget

Posted October 13, 2006 - 06:51 AM

It might be slow but it's progress......

Posted Image

• Leget

Posted November 03, 2006 - 06:48 AM

Man.....this is taking forever.:worthy:

Looks like it's "Feast or Famine" on the good ole' eBay.:mad:

When I first got this bike there was tons of stuff on there, now it's not so good. :mad:

I'm still looking for a couple of parts....

1. Rear shock and linkage (I have the "dog bone")
2. Complete exhaust (stock....theres one I'm "watching" on eBay now)
3. Footpegs (I got some from eBay and they didn't fit...still looking)

I'll keep you updated...maybe I'll have this Pig together and running before spring.:mad:

• bigtooth

Posted November 03, 2006 - 10:27 AM

Leget:
I have a spare xr600r shock from '96 I think, it has the linkage part, but the grease nipple is broken off (you maybe able to find a new one, I think they thread in). I know the thing needs a new bladder at least, you want me to try to dig it out? I'd be happy to let you have it for the cost of shipping if you think it will help with you quest (and as long as you keep us posted with your progress)

• Leget

Posted November 03, 2006 - 02:45 PM

Leget:
I have a spare xr600r shock from '96 I think, it has the linkage part, but the grease nipple is broken off (you maybe able to find a new one, I think they thread in). I know the thing needs a new bladder at least, you want me to try to dig it out? I'd be happy to let you have it for the cost of shipping if you think it will help with you quest (and as long as you keep us posted with your progress)

PM sent :mad:

• LandSharkGT

Posted November 03, 2006 - 03:06 PM

Nice looking bike!

• Nummie

Posted November 04, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Nice looking project you've got there.:mad:
I'm restoring a '84 XL600R and have similar issues finding good parts.
Ought to have her done by spring.
Have faith on the ebay front.
Sooner or later someone will part another one out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted November 04, 2006 - 11:17 AM

looking good compared to the start picture. keep up the good work!

• ozjock

Posted November 06, 2006 - 07:38 PM

heres a linkage

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Leget

Posted December 01, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Man....time has been flying by.

It's been almost a month since I've been able to work on the BRP.
I finally got a set of 'pegs, still looking for a shock/linkage & exhaust.

I've been watching eBay off and on but no luck so far....I'd really like to get this thing going before spring.

Is there a shock for another model that would be a direct bolt in replacement? Maybe CR250, XR400.....?

Hopefully my next post will include a test ride.........:worthy:

• Leget

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:30 AM

Holy crap.....it's now been eight months, the last piece of the puzzle should arrive today.

I have a shock en route, I found the pegs long ago and I ended up using a silencer from a CRF450 (for now).

I still have to make a short extension to mate up the CRF silencer to the XR header. I concerned it might be a little loud....

After I get this thing together and (finally) of the stand I'm sure I'll have a couple of bugs to work out here and there. But once everything is straight I'll start working on getting it street legal.

I know a couple of you guys are wondering "why did it take this guy so long to rebuild a POS like that?"

Short answer..
1. I have two young kids and a wife (family first).
2. I have to travel allot with my job.

It's going to be this weekend before I can get started (again) 'cause I'm 7+ hours from home right now.......

Sorry to drag this thing out....

Leget

• MartinDKtm

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:47 AM

If you want to change that aluminum to a nice darker grey just spray it over with a spray can clear coat. It totally changes the silver look to a as I said a darker grey. Give it a try you will be amaze of the color change. I did repaint my z50ak2 wheels this way and it looks just a tad darker than factory color.

• Leget

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:07 AM

If you want to change that aluminum to a nice darker grey just spray it over with a spray can clear coat. It totally changes the silver look to a as I said a darker grey. Give it a try you will be amaze of the color change. I did repaint my z50ak2 wheels this way and it looks just a tad darker than factory color.

I'm guessing your talking about the engine....yeah, I'm not totally pleased with the way that turned out....I want to get this thing going so bad after I got the engine in I didn't want to pull it out again.

But after I get a couple of miles on it I'm sure I start changing this and that, and the engine color is high on the list.

• MartinDKtm

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:08 AM

No I was talking about the frame...but I saw the number of pages and date of this thread only after I posted...Im Getting old I think...I was kind of too late.

• Leget

Posted August 27, 2007 - 05:05 AM

I apologize....this has been a long drawn out (boring) rebuild but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I will hopefully receive the silencer/muffler today...and that will make this bike (almost) complete. I just need to grab a chain, airfilter....normal replacement stuff.

I've still got a little fabricating to do, I'm using a dual carb setup on what is basically a '90 XR600, the engine came from a '84 XL600. I have to make a mount for the rear shock canister and the airbox boots are about 1/2" too short.

On the airbox boots I'm not sure if I should..
1. Make/find some sort of spacer to just fit between the carbs and boots.
2. Add a extra plate between the carbs and head to move the carbs back?
3. Modify the boot/airbox mount to move the boots 1/2" forward?

After I figure that out (recommendations are welcome) It should be just a quick once over to make sure everything is mounted & torqued properly and then hopefully a test ride.

• Jesserosco

Posted August 27, 2007 - 10:19 AM

I have a lot of extra parts for the xr600r, If you still need something let me know

Jesse

• martinfan30

Posted August 27, 2007 - 10:28 AM

I have a lot of extra parts for the xr600r, If you still need something let me know

Jesse

do you have any left side panels? or right side engine cases? i would like to convert my 650L to kickstart. so any of the kickstart parts i would like.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.