Oil amount???

3 replies to this topic
  • arnie230

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:23 AM

The manual for my '06 YZ450FV says to add an amount of oil if just changing the oil and another amount if changing the oil and filter which is understandable but then it states a third amount. Is that for overhaul only or is that what should be added when the oil is changed? I want to be precise as I want this bike to last a long time. Also it doesnt seem like it takes alot of oil. That surprised me. Any tips?

• Daffy Duck

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:30 AM

Sorry no tip other than the obvious that replacing the filter will require another 200 mls and if you did an overhaul you might need another 200 mls again. Just estimating...

I get away with 1 litre in my 05 every change but I guess the 06 could be different. Sorry if not much help mate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:32 AM

all the YZF manuals play that little mind trick. There is one about for oil change, one for oil and filter and then it lists a "total" amount.

You are correct though....the total amount is for a fresh motor. It was especially critical on older models that stored oil in the frame as you could never drain 100% from the frame and oil feed lines. But keep in mind...the 06 still has an oil tank...its just inside the motor.

-B

• barch88

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:07 AM

You only have to pay attention to the "Regular Oil Change" and "With Oil Filter Change." The other is for doing a complete rebuild, or fresh motor, you will never be able to get ALL the oil out of you're engine when draining and doing regular changes, so that extra is already inside.

It is EXACTLY one quart inside the engine, if you don't change the filter, then with the filter it is one quart, plus very little of another quart. I never get it exactly right, I always end up overfilling it, but I just warm the bike up, then pull the excess drain plug, which is located behind the shifter, it will drain the overfill, then when it's drained, put it back on, check you're oil by warming up the bike, and it should be perfect on the dipstick. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.