Aussie Idiot

18 replies to this topic
  • BBeavis

Posted August 27, 2006 - 03:18 AM

Hi there TT People -
In a fit of utter brilliance I've overtightened the oil drain bolt on my 2001 XR650R.
What was I thinking!!?? -
I Did a good job of it too- a 1"x2"chunk of alloy dropped out, neatly halving the bolt hole.
Now, here comes 'the qualifier' - that is: the bit where you bike guru types get to lean back in your chairs and belly-laugh as I expose my utter lack of mechanical prowess: My question: Is there some way of welding the alloy back in place?
Surely I'm not the first knuckle dragger to swing off such a bolt - there could be an industry forged on the back of idiots like me!!?.
I might just add (as I from time to time jump around the room in a way not dis-similar to Basil Faulty) What a feeling of complete and utter emptiness overcomes you as you realise that the weekend you had so preciously guarded from friends, relatives and Family - all keen to muscle in on your ride time - slips between your fingers like the oil gluggling from the freshly gaping hole in the bottom/side of my bike...
I'm in Sydney, Australia and I'm now off to my shed to bang my head against the crank case in the hope that the motion stirs up my remaining brain cells so I find a way out of this mess...
Thanks,
BBeavis

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted August 27, 2006 - 03:48 AM

I'm not familiar with the XR650 in particular but over tightening the bolt will strip the threads but tear out a 1"x2" piece, no. I'd say something has hit it on or around the bolt and cracked the case or there was a casting flaw from the factory and when you tightened the bolt, it finished it off.
As for welding it, well probably not. You can weld a crack in a non stressed part such as a side cover after the bike has fell over but around a bolt or anything that is loaded I've never had much luck. Aluminum seems to soak up oil and no matter how much you clean it, it never wants to weld good.
Anyway, if the drain bolt is in the bottom end case (as I said, I'm not familiar with the XR650) your going to have to take the motor completely apart to weld it so might as well spend a little more and replace the case.
If it's any consolation, I really doubt you broke it by over tightening the bolt.

• STILL_KICKIN

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:26 AM

Hi there TT People -
In a fit of utter brilliance I've overtightened the oil drain bolt on my 2001 XR650R.
What was I thinking!!?? -
I Did a good job of it too- a 1"x2"chunk of alloy dropped out, neatly halving the bolt hole.
Now, here comes 'the qualifier' - that is: the bit where you bike guru types get to lean back in your chairs and belly-laugh as I expose my utter lack of mechanical prowess: My question: Is there some way of welding the alloy back in place?
Surely I'm not the first knuckle dragger to swing off such a bolt - there could be an industry forged on the back of idiots like me!!?.
I might just add (as I from time to time jump around the room in a way not dis-similar to Basil Faulty) What a feeling of complete and utter emptiness overcomes you as you realise that the weekend you had so preciously guarded from friends, relatives and Family - all keen to muscle in on your ride time - slips between your fingers like the oil gluggling from the freshly gaping hole in the bottom/side of my bike...
I'm in Sydney, Australia and I'm now off to my shed to bang my head against the crank case in the hope that the motion stirs up my remaining brain cells so I find a way out of this mess...
Thanks,
BBeavis

So you don't know your own strength.

:thumbsup: :ride: :applause: :applause: :applause:

We have all been there at some time......OK, maybe not to that severity. :applause:

I FEEL FOR YOU!!! Most would recommend JB weld epoxy, but in your case it is right where you must torque a bolt! This presents a problem using epoxies.
[COLOR=Red]I hope I am wrong and someone says you can do it. I'm no metallurgist![/COLOR]

Anything can be welded, but if the guy welding it doesn't do it right it could cause problems elsewhere.

My advise is bite the bullet and buy new cases. Oh, and a [COLOR=Magenta]Torque wrench[/COLOR]!

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:47 AM

He could just epoxy that hole up completely, and drill and thread a new hole in another place.

• XRidiculous

Posted August 27, 2006 - 06:28 AM

Here's how I handled that same problem, 20 years ago on my elsinore 125.

The Auto parts store sells a drain bolt that goes into a stripped out drain hole. what makes the bolt unique is that the part that you put into the stripped hole, remains there, and THAT stationary bolt has ANOTHER bolt inside it-which has an o-ring, and that is the new drain plug.

I JB welded the first bolt (completely drain all oil, and clean the crap out of the area using a solvent), waited 24 hours-the hardest part when your 16, and then put the drain plug in, filled with oil, and probably rode for about 10 minutes before something else broke-that bike sucked, but it showed me the way to the bulletproof XR.

If you dont have a good aluminum skidplate-nows the time.

• Ud_Luz

Posted August 27, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Rather pessemistic group we have here. :thumbsup:

More likely than not your local welding shop can easily deal with this.

Unfortunately you may have to pull the engine to have it done. Based on your informative post I think I would offer my buddies a lot of Tooheys to give you a hand.

• drtlvr

Posted August 27, 2006 - 10:06 AM

I feel you can weld it ,I weld aluminum and as long as its a good cast,make sure its not magnesium, and clean it with acetone and a wire brush it will weld. make sure to disconnect any of your electrical components. if you take the motor out of the bike you can use a piece of copper for a backer so your welds won"t blow through the case, good luck

• weskc35k

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:48 PM

BBeavis you will be right with most of this advise,you freaking numbnuts these guys used to think we were idiots now they know it.
Tooheys be fooked four x mate.

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 27, 2006 - 06:27 PM

BBeavis you will be right with most of this advise,you freaking numbnuts these guys used to think we were idiots now they know it.
Tooheys be fooked four x mate.

Nah, any Aussie nuts enough to want to ride a big red thumper, is good in our book.

Give us a repair report, when you're done!

Ride safe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBeavis

Posted August 27, 2006 - 11:14 PM

Firstly can I say how impressed I am at the response that has come back from Thumper Talk. Thanks to all that replied and the good people behind the scenes!! Some of the replies actually knew of Tooheys!?! (as opposed to Fosters' which is better known here as Horse P*ss) I thought that was a USA site?
I'll keep you posted as to how it pans out - my local Honda Dealer reakons it is possible to alloy-weld (as long as the welder can distinguish 'the hot end' without too much trouble)

Thanks again,
Best regards,
Beavis from Sydney Australia!!

• Max Power

Posted August 28, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Firstly can I say how impressed I am at the response that has come back from Thumper Talk. Thanks to all that replied and the good people behind the scenes!! Some of the replies actually knew of Tooheys!?! (as opposed to Fosters' which is better known here as Horse P*ss) I thought that was a USA site?
I'll keep you posted as to how it pans out - my local Honda Dealer reakons it is possible to alloy-weld (as long as the welder can distinguish 'the hot end' without too much trouble)

Thanks again,
Best regards,
Beavis from Sydney Australia!!

What!!!!... No Red Back Beer? Sheeeeesh.

• hypersthenos

Posted August 28, 2006 - 07:28 PM

What about VB?

• BluezookS

Posted August 28, 2006 - 07:32 PM

If it makes you feel any better, my friend stripped out his drain bolt on his KTM overtightening the bolt. :thumbsup:

Good luck! Hope you get an easy fix.

Posted Image

• Ud_Luz

Posted August 28, 2006 - 07:36 PM

My brother bought me a case of that stuff. He figured it was appropriate. :thumbsup:

• HC

Posted August 29, 2006 - 09:18 AM

if it doesnt work I know a place tearing a 650R down, i dont know if they have that part though. best of luck

• BBeavis

Posted September 08, 2006 - 01:39 AM

Hello People,
Just an update of how the Aussie Idiot got on.
The bike is now fixed costing $400 Australian (about $0.46 US Cents)
The Aluminium welding people didn't blink when I showed them 'the remains', and did what looks like a good job.
Thanks to everyone for your positive suggestions. And thanks to ThumperTalk for having an Internationally Useful tool available for use by tools like me. :thumbsup:
Happy Trails Amigos,
Try the Tooheys Extra Dry.
Cheers, BBeavis

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 08, 2006 - 04:30 AM

Glad to hear the repairs were sucessful. Nothing worse than having a broke bike.

Thanks for the tip on Tooheys Extra Dry. Will try to find some!

Ride safe.

• ghoti

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:00 AM

Is Faulty Towers just getting to Australia, sounds more like a Mr. Bean moment to me. I'll agree on the cracked case causing the break. Give yourself some kudos for some preventitive maintenance, imagine that chunk falling out while flying across the, well whatever it is that you fly across. :thumbsup:

• motomonte

Posted September 08, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Just as a preventive measure you should be thinking about upgrading the skidplate for a beefier one or should I say meatier mate.Anyways glad you could get er fixed.Roost on...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.