Grease the filter seal or not?

21 replies to this topic
  • yzfireguy

Posted August 26, 2006 - 04:39 PM

I just purchased my first new bike last week a 06 yzf450, and totally stoked. I was wondering if you guys are putting grease around the seal of the air filter the buts up to the intake. On my old 01 yz250 I never did, I just made sure that when I put it on that it seal all the way around and I never had anything come through. AMF

• The Spanky

Posted August 26, 2006 - 04:47 PM

I have always greased the filter for added insurance, it just makes me feel better. Is it neccessary? Probably not, but the way I see it, the grease isn't hurting anything, but dirt will hurt something if it gets past the filter. Like I said, it makes me feel better... :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted August 26, 2006 - 06:04 PM

I do...but I need to get off my butt and buy a PROSEAL...used one on a CF airbox that my 426 had....no need to grease with the PROSEAL.

• MACHO104

Posted August 26, 2006 - 06:10 PM

yup I do

• yogist

Posted August 26, 2006 - 06:26 PM

yes, I do, lightly though..just enough so the foam of the filter sticks to its mating surface...

• adam918

Posted August 26, 2006 - 06:32 PM

yes, i also grease the outer seal on mine too.

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2006 - 10:45 PM

I do not grease the filter flange since shortly after I started using Maxima FFT. It is extremely tacky, and I find that an extra smear of it on the filter flange is more than adequate. My objection to grease is that it's harder to remove than filter oil at cleanup time.

• Daffy Duck

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:35 AM

I just put the filter oil there like Gray said. I also wrap my filter with panty hose which is also filled with filter oil. May seem a bit lame. But that is what I do.

• The Spanky

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:38 AM

I also wrap my filter with panty hose which is also filled with filter oil.

LOL...I also use hose as a "filter skin" when riding in dusty conditions. :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:39 AM

Ok...finally got off my butt and ordered the Pro Seal this morning......If you have ever tried one you will love it. Peace of mind and no mess.

http://www.pcracingusa.com/proseal.php

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:53 AM

LOL...I also use hose as a "filter skin" when riding in dusty conditions. :thumbsup:

Well I am riding in sand here and I use the panty hose thing. Only costs about 80 cents and it keeps some of the sand and dust off. yeah like you said Chokey it is like a filter skin..

• barch88

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:02 AM

Sometimes I do, sometimes I forget. Either way my filter don't let anything in. You just need a very light film of grease, don't pack it...

• SureBlue

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Proseal and a cook hat :thumbsup:
Posted Image

• yogist

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:39 AM

I purposly ride with slower people..It keeps my filter cleaner, longer.

• yzernie

Posted August 27, 2006 - 06:10 AM

I always grease it with No Toil grease and oil. Have not had any problems with cleaning the grease off of the filter.

Just like boxers or briefs....it is a personal decision to grease or not to grease.

• The Spanky

Posted August 27, 2006 - 06:56 AM

Well I am riding in sand here

Here as well. I live in Florida, so there's basically nothing but sand. And it's often wet. Wet sand has the amazing ability to get inside absolutely anything and everything if you don't undertake very meticulous preprations to prevent it. Better safe than sorry... :thumbsup:

• NYMXer

Posted August 27, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I have applied grease to the sealing surface for over 30 years. It's an old habit that I won't break due to what could happen if the seal was ever compromised in any way.

Look at it this way, the grease doesn't hurt anything and makes a better seal. Not getting a good seal could have serious consequences so why take the chance? :thumbsup:

• techmc

Posted August 27, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I just purchased my first new bike last week a 06 yzf450, and totally stoked. I was wondering if you guys are putting grease around the seal of the air filter the buts up to the intake. On my old 01 yz250 I never did, I just made sure that when I put it on that it seal all the way around and I never had anything come through. AMF

Ask Flamedog! I bet he wished he did, he may have ate up a 06 wr450 motor because he didn't. No big deal, just a $4000.00 motor anyway? HuH :ride: Less than 5 minutes of work he saved, and cost him now, hours of anger and grief. YOU DECIDE :thumbsup:

• jamiehughes

Posted August 27, 2006 - 07:07 PM

i've used those pro seals on my bikes since 01 and have never had any dirt get through, even after letting the filter go too long, still nothing inside air boot. plus you dont have to clean up all the dirty old grease off of the flange every time you clean the filter.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 28, 2006 - 04:37 AM

There is nothing wrong with adding the grease - but it does add a mess to clean up each time though - I have not been doing this for years and it has been fine. The filters fit much better than they used to in the ole days.....and there is oil on the lip surfaces from the filter oil to seal out contamination

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.