2000 426 case cover gasket issue...

3 replies to this topic
  • skwerlee

Posted August 26, 2006 - 02:40 PM

I pulled the right side case cover off of my bike to replace the gasket as the bike has been leaking oil were the case cover bolts to the case. Do any of you guys recommend using any additional sealant in this area along with a new OEM gasket? Can I clean the old gasket residue off with brake parts cleaner? Also what type of adhesive should I use to secure a helicoil I installed in the drain bolt hole for the oil filter? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2006 - 04:19 PM

Brake cleaner probably won't take the gasket off, but careful scraping will. Usually don't need a sealer, but if you decide you must, use a thin coat of #3 Permatex, or similar. Heli Coils require no retention by adhesives if installed correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skwerlee

Posted August 26, 2006 - 05:21 PM

Thanks! For some reason the helicoil I installed last year never allowed me to tighten up the bolt enough so I still have a slow leak. I'll check to see what's going on with it.

• 02YZ426

Posted August 26, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I usually loctite the heli coils in there. As for the gasket, you shouldn't need any silicone..... the oem gaskets are really good.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.