2007 yammi 450 first impression!

33 replies to this topic
  • barch88

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:01 AM

I find it extremely entertaining that anyone believes they can "feel" the difference between a forged and a cast triple clamp :thumbsup: What a hoot.

I agree with ya Gray, how the hell can they tell the difference in forged and cast?! LOL

• yzernie

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:55 AM

ahhhhh ERNIE!!! SO THE SECRET IS OUT! :ride: :thumbsup:

UH.............did I say that out loud??? Posted Image

• DPW

Posted August 27, 2006 - 06:12 AM

ahhhhh ERNIE!!! SO THE SECRET IS OUT! :ride: :thumbsup:

LOL...was thinking the same thing!

• kyle450rider

Posted August 27, 2006 - 10:49 AM

I'll ride mine as soon as i get it:)

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Before you call dirtrider a honda mag think about their internet bike: YZ250! What did TT submit??? A freakin DRZ400. And Jimmy called that one as it was! :thumbsup:

You guys are all worked up over nothing AGAIN! I read their blurb and it is totally harmless. Don't bitch until you have ridden the 07.

• DPW

Posted August 27, 2006 - 06:13 PM

You guys are all worked up over nothing AGAIN! I read their blurb and it is totally harmless. Don't bitch until you have ridden the 07.

Dude it's a message board...that means we have every right to bitch..
:thumbsup:

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted August 27, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Agreed, cry upon each other's shoulders

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 28, 2006 - 04:09 AM

I find it funny that MXA(Yamacross) is the ONLY mag that did NOT mention the front end push of the Yamaha. It's a 2-way street.

that is because there isn't any.........after you get higher bars.... :thumbsup:

• SCIENCE

Posted August 28, 2006 - 06:33 AM

I find it extremely entertaining that anyone believes they can "feel" the difference between a forged and a cast triple clamp :thumbsup: What a hoot.

Their opinions on the engine are as important to me as my mother-in-law's on the same subject.

MXA did mention it. They also mentioned that they, pretty much alone among the mags, took the time to find out that the owner could easily tune it out himself. Set the sag right, pull the forks up a mere 5mm, and switch the tire to one that matches the soil type, and the push turns into a firmly planted front end that a CRF can't match. Ask Baron von Beard, if you think not.

Instead of riding the bike just as delivered, MXA takes the time to see what the owner can accomplish by tweaking the usual things that owners tweak, and as a result, they end up with a much more accurate picture of the bike than the random collection of wannabe's that make up half of DR's test crews.

As for MXA's fabled pro-Yamaha bias, MXA has criticized the YZ450 sine its introduction through the '05 model year for its handling shortcomings, and especially the '05 model. In fat they were very unflattering to the bike. MXA also appointed the CRF450 as the best 450 MX'er 3 years in a row, and had it tied with this year's YZ450 for the top honors this year. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a pro Yamaha bias in that. Maybe you can explain it to me so that it makes sense.

Gray,

You are right on the money with this assessment. Look at their shootout winners the past 25 years and you will see that all brands have won. I have found MXA to be an excellent source for bike tests and tuning over the years. Take a look at DR's and TMMX's tests and you'll note that they are usually very short and less informative than MXA's. I think they both rush the tests to the printer. MXA on the other hand doesn't print it until they have tested completely. As well, they print follow up articles as they discover new settings.

I think the elder statesman that edit the mag put off the younger set abit. Ironically, those guys were young when I started reading the mag!

• johntt4

Posted August 28, 2006 - 12:25 PM

At least Dirtrider and TWMX give each testers individual opinion in their shootouts/tests. MXA doesn't do this. It's nice to see the opinions of the riders, from beginner to pro.

• Satch0922

Posted August 28, 2006 - 04:22 PM

Guys...you know I love my Yamahas...but MXA has some of the worst bike reviews ever. They say the same thing over and over and over....to the point that they HAVE to be using the ole "cut and paste" method. After 25 years of subscribing....I cancelled. It made me sick at my stomach to read the same review year after year on the bikes they test.... "add one tooth to the rear sprocket" LMAO! According to them.....every bike ever made needs another tooth added and some Dunlops (gee do they pay some bills at MXA). Also ...anything made by Pro Circuit (who owns part of Hi_torque/mxa) is made of gold......

Sorry...but grab a handful of your MXA mags and you will see a sickening trend....

• Reyndogg

Posted August 28, 2006 - 06:43 PM

Kyle, we get it... sheesh :thumbsup:

I'm holding out for EFI too.

• ben_suhard

Posted September 04, 2006 - 02:32 AM

Guys...you know I love my Yamahas...but MXA has some of the worst bike reviews ever. They say the same thing over and over and over....to the point that they HAVE to be using the ole "cut and paste" method. After 25 years of subscribing....I cancelled. It made me sick at my stomach to read the same review year after year on the bikes they test.... "add one tooth to the rear sprocket" LMAO! According to them.....every bike ever made needs another tooth added and some Dunlops (gee do they pay some bills at MXA). Also ...anything made by Pro Circuit (who owns part of Hi_torque/mxa) is made of gold......

Sorry...but grab a handful of your MXA mags and you will see a sickening trend....

25 years! That's a lot of mags! :thumbsup:
MXA is my favourite mag and pretty much the only one I read now. I think they do a good job, but I'm not too happy that they never answer my emails...............just once...that's all I ask...just answer one email...hey?...huh?...Oh sorry, I drifted off for a moment there. I think they do the best, most honest and accurate ride reports, and give great advice. I've learned a lot from MXA mag, especially the handy little bike specific tips they give. I believe nearly everything they say. They've definitely got something against the Dunlop 742F front tyre though, they hate it, so I don't think they're paid by Dunlop. You'd be surprised how much difference one tooth makes too, but I don't think they mentioned it in the '06 YZ450 test! I love the new Digital MXA, it sures saves me a bit of room since I keep all my old mags, and I receive it as soon as it's released! I didn't know that Pro Circuit own part of Hi Torque/MXA, very interesting.
I based my decision to buy the 06 YZ450 on the MXA ride report and TT. I wasn't sure whether to go red or blue, but I think I got the right advice.

• Thunderbug

Posted September 04, 2006 - 02:38 AM

Take everything you read in the Dirtbike rags with a grain of salt.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.