stuttering and chattering XR600 chain

11 replies to this topic
  • Ladge

Posted August 25, 2006 - 05:31 PM

Greetings, I own a 1995 Honda XR600. The previous owner installed the HRC cam, and I don't like it. The power band is really short, and throttle response is not real smooth. The engine revs up real quick. In addition, if I'm not in the sweet spot of the gear in question, I get a stuttering/chattering of the chain, almost as though it's bogging down. Either I'm in a lower gear and revving like crazy, or I'm chattering and stuttering in the next higher gear.

The sprockets are taking a beating and becoming quite cupped (which probably is contributing to this effect). Is it the cam that's causing this or do you think the clutch is to blame for some reason? I'm tempted to put the stock cam back in for smoothness throughout the power curve...

Help is appreciated!

• gnfreak

Posted August 26, 2006 - 01:59 PM

i'm starting to get this on my stock 98 xr600. must be in the clutch, i gotta check it soon.

• motomonte

Posted August 26, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Seems like the torque band moved up,maybe you"ll have to change you gearing acordingly.Try dropping one tooth up front and revise the jetting...

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2006 - 07:07 PM

One day we are going to take a vote and split the forum. Air cooled and water cooled....... One day.....................

Hi WR4FIDDY :wave

You are too easy. :spankme

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2006 - 07:33 PM

I wonder if I could take WR in an arm wrestle? :thumbsup:

• GIANTac1

Posted August 26, 2006 - 08:00 PM

One day we are going to take a vote and split the forum. Air cooled and water cooled....... One day.....................

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Back to your problem, I also think that changing your gearing or re-jetting will help. Just keep checking back, I am positive some one with a water cooled or air cooled bike will find the answers your are looking for. :thumbsup:

This is why we need a moderator.......LAME REPLIES! It was obviously directed to the air cooled side of the house. Nobody asked for MaxiPads opinion on a forum split. Nobody asked for MaxiPad to click on it! Pull your String out and take off your Skirt! If you dont have anything constructive to say then don't, cause your 2 cents ain't worth a damn unless your trying to help the problem and not be part of the problem :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GIANTac1

Posted August 26, 2006 - 08:00 PM

Back to your problem, I also think that changing your gearing or re-jetting will help. Just keep checking back, I am positive some one with a water cooled or air cooled bike will find the answers your are looking for. :thumbsup:

This is why we need a moderator.......LAME REPLIES! It was obviously directed to the air cooled side of the house. Nobody asked for MaxiPads opinion on a forum split. Nobody asked for MaxiPad to click on it! Pull your String out and take off your Skirt! If you dont have anything constructive to say then don't, cause your 2 cents ain't worth a damn unless your trying to help the problem and not be part of the problem :ride:

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2006 - 08:37 PM

What can I say. I'm bored. Oh crap, I just realized I got sucked into the wrong forum. My bad.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 28, 2006 - 08:40 AM

Greetings, I own a 1995 Honda XR600. The previous owner installed the HRC cam, and I don't like it. The power band is really short, and throttle response is not real smooth. The engine revs up real quick. In addition, if I'm not in the sweet spot of the gear in question, I get a stuttering/chattering of the chain, almost as though it's bogging down. Either I'm in a lower gear and revving like crazy, or I'm chattering and stuttering in the next higher gear.

The sprockets are taking a beating and becoming quite cupped (which probably is contributing to this effect). Is it the cam that's causing this or do you think the clutch is to blame for some reason? I'm tempted to put the stock cam back in for smoothness throughout the power curve...

Help is appreciated!

Wanna trade your HRC cam for a stocker?

Posted August 28, 2006 - 03:01 PM

hey i was wondering if anyone new a good place to look for parts for my 99honda xr600r.i was looking for an enduro kit and also a new carb

• Ladge

Posted February 11, 2007 - 09:40 AM

Thanks to all who replied to my post, I have since discovered that more throttle fixes this problem. It is just a matter of getting used to going faster and keeping the RPMs up in the sweet spot for this cam. As I was learning to ride on this bike, I liked to crawl slowly through the single track. Now that I have gained confidence I just hit it a bit faster...

Cheers,

Ladge

• daddyk

Posted February 11, 2007 - 11:53 AM

I have an 89 stock and a 94 full HRC and discovered the same thing,the stocker pulled better down low. By the time you get above 2500 things reversed and the HRC goes bye bye. I just put a edelbrock on the HRC and now it jumps off the bottom. Probably still not the best for tight slow trails cause things happen in a hurry. For tight stuff it would be hard to beat stock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.