Throttle sensor

35 replies to this topic
  • motokid338

Posted August 25, 2006 - 05:27 PM

I brought my bike to the dealer today becuse it was not startig at all when it was hot and would die when in a low gear.... the service departement wouldent believe me that it died when you downshift in corners so they tried it in the parking lot and sure enough it died for them.... they hooked it up to a dyno machine and said that my throttle sensor was dead

Has anyone else had this problem on ther 450 :thumbsup:

• jamiehughes

Posted August 25, 2006 - 08:55 PM

what year?

• motokid338

Posted August 26, 2006 - 07:31 AM

its a 2003

• shade

Posted August 26, 2006 - 09:33 AM

leave the tps unplugged.it will run better.the tps is for emissisons,it changes the timing slightly to help burn fuel cleaner.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 26, 2006 - 10:35 AM

leave the tps unplugged.it will run better.the tps is for emissisons,it changes the timing slightly to help burn fuel cleaner.

Incorrect. The TPS measures throttle opening to determine what ignition curve will work best for the rpms and throttle opening. With the TPS hooked up and working properly the cdi map is a true three dimensional map. With the TPS unplugged, the cdi goes to a default map that only accounts for rpms. The bike will run better with the TPS hooked up and working properly.

• motokid338

Posted August 26, 2006 - 12:27 PM

it is unconnected now and runs inconsistant. the throttle is not accurate and will give no gas one turn and give too much the next turn...

the mechanics also said this could be why it's not starting AT ALL when it's hot

:thumbsup:

• shade

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:24 PM

try running it with it unhooked.you will be surprised.dyno results have shown a gain of three to five hp with it unhooked.your right it does change the timing,but its goal is to burn your fuel cleaner ,lots of guys leave them unhooked and someone sells a billet piece to put in place of it if you remove it all together. try it for several laps then hook it back up. let me know if you try it,,,,later

• shade

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:26 PM

do you have a after market flywheel or weight?

• motokid338

Posted August 27, 2006 - 04:39 PM

i don't have a after market flywheel....

i tried it unhooked for a few laps and when i downshifted into corners into it stalls out and turns off and then it wont start again unless i wait 15 minutes even with the hotstart.... i asked the mechanic at the dealer and he said that becuse it was unhooked it was harder starting hot.... :thumbsup:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:17 PM

I may show more ponies near redline on the dyno with it unhooked but the mid range power and response will suffer. Replace the TPS if it's messed up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motokid338

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:59 PM

ya, i am becuse my throttle response is horrible and it stalls very easily :thumbsup:

• shade

Posted August 28, 2006 - 01:06 PM

if you are still having problems with the engine when the tps is unhooked then maybe your bike has a problem reading rpms,i understand some guys like it hooked up but it still should run correctly with it unhooked, i am used to cr500s and i like think it hits better with mine unhooked. i bought a leftover o4 and it didnt run smooth like a two stroke which i didnt like at first.it also would stall sometime in tight corner and at sudden stops.i changed my pilot jet to a 45 and put a 172 main in.left my needle in stock position,unplugged my tpi.the bike runs great now.i have the gytr needle but have not put it in yet. lots of luck dude

• motokid338

Posted August 28, 2006 - 05:37 PM

I also put a little bit smaller jets becuse after market ones in were a little to big and flooding to easy.... im trying it with the new throttle sensor and i hope i get better response and it starts easier when it's hot.... I don't know what else could be making it so hard to start and making the throttle response so bad.... :thumbsup:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 29, 2006 - 05:06 AM

if you are still having problems with the engine when the tps is unhooked then maybe your bike has a problem reading rpms,...

I agree with the "Baron" that the TPS is necessary and your bike will preform better with it hooked up and dialed in proberly, but "shade" does have a point here.

Your bike should run just fine with the TPS disconnected. If it's not, then something else is wrong. Have the dealer swap out the ignition coil or CDI box first and test ride the bike before they order up a new TPS for you.

• motokid338

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:52 AM

My bike does work just the throttle response is really inconsistant and it has a really hard time starting when it's hot (more than a usual four stroke)........ i think that maybe the jets were to big so i put in smaller a little bit smaller.... :thumbsup:

• aford541

Posted August 30, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Somewhere here on TT there is a dyno chart that shows horsepower and torque improvement with the TPS Disconnected, I have had my TPS disconnected on my 03, 04, 05 and 06 and had no issues whatsoever.
Throttle response was better off the bottom.

What Jets are in your bike?
What is the elevation where you ride?
when is the last time you changed the spark plug?
Is the air filter clean?
Are you using pump gas?
Is the bike stock?

All this stuff effects the performance of the bike.

• FFRacing79

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:06 PM

Sorry, but on the '03s, it has been proven time and time again they run better with the Tps unplugged. Even the factory was doing it then. There was a "glitch" in the '03 mapping, and by unplugging the TPS it just seemed to run better and got rid of the "HIT" the '03 was known for. Trust me! Tdub

• aford541

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Sorry, but on the '03s, it has been proven time and time again they run better with the Tps unplugged. Even the factory was doing it then. There was a "glitch" in the '03 mapping, and by unplugging the TPS it just seemed to run better and got rid of the "HIT" the '03 was known for. Trust me! Tdub

The search feature is down do you still have the thread with your dyno runs on it?

• FFRacing79

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:45 PM

I went to post the dyno sheet and comments but the sheet was no longer hosted. Oh I was Pi****. What it showed was that at 8500 rpm with the TPS hooked up it took a wild dip and then began to rise again...the so called HIT. With the TPS unhooked the dip vanished, and riders commented on how much smoother the power delivery was. If you google "TPS unhooked" you will get some of the posts about it. I only tested this on the '03, but riders still unhook it on the '06 claiming better ridability. Tdub

• aford541

Posted August 30, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I went to post the dyno sheet and comments but the sheet was no longer hosted. Oh I was Pi****. What it showed was that at 8500 rpm with the TPS hooked up it took a wild dip and then began to rise again...the so called HIT. With the TPS unhooked the dip vanished, and riders commented on how much smoother the power delivery was. If you google "TPS unhooked" you will get some of the posts about it. I only tested this on the '03, but riders still unhook it on the '06 claiming better ridability. Tdub

Thanks I found it http://www.thumperta...8040#post968040

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.