Big Bore Kit

10 replies to this topic
  • TexN343

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:00 PM

I've been looking for big bore kits for my 04yz450. I found an athena 480cc 98mm kit complete bolt on kit for 659$ I was wanting to know how many hp do I gain from this increase. Will it also have any disadvatages. I am thinking this is a better investment for an increase in hp vs. a 700$ pipe. I already have my suspension dead on and a rekluse so the next upgrade I was thinking is this kit. I have already had my ports cleaned up .If anyone knows of a better deal plz tell me where. The kit includes Athena nickel-carbide plated cylinder, Forged & Coated piston, Rings, Clips, Pin and gaskets.

• TexN343

Posted August 26, 2006 - 06:50 PM

bumpo

• FFRacing79

Posted August 26, 2006 - 07:08 PM

More of a gain in the Tq dept. than HP. Have had no bad experiences with the Athena kits. Tdub

• Live2Die420

Posted August 26, 2006 - 07:11 PM

also dude you will want to change ur jets a bit. Im not sure if its a bigger piston or bigger stroke. But yea it will be more beinificial if you are doing the job yourself. If your not then the shop is going to charge you rediculously.

• FFRacing79

Posted August 26, 2006 - 08:14 PM

The Athena is pretty much a bolt on big bore, but if you are not familiar with doing it, you might want to check out someone who can help. Tdub

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TexN343

Posted August 26, 2006 - 09:19 PM

So this is a yes vs. a pipe?

• barch88

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:26 AM

Alright, can I ask WHY in God's name would you need more power? I bet you're not even using all the power it has now!

• FFRacing79

Posted August 27, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Alright, can I ask WHY in God's name would you need more power? I bet you're not even using all the power it has now!

You can NEVER have enuf POWER :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted August 27, 2006 - 08:03 AM

You can NEVER have enuf POWER :thumbsup:

True, but can you use all the power? That's the hard part...

• TexN343

Posted August 29, 2006 - 12:31 PM

I race cross country and I need some more top end. And a little more "umff" would help me pull taller gearing. Maybe I could actually use 1st gear. When I say more top end it's because most races will have at least once in the track a really long straight that you can top your bike out. It's pissesme off because they make me race open class because they won't let 4-stroke 450s race the 250 strokes and I'm topped out and a pig of a 500 passes me on the straights. The 250 4 stokes race the 250 2 strokes. Nobody in the class does that because it's a huge disadvantage.
PS: Does anyone know about how much it would cost to add a 5th gear and what I would need to do it myself. I don't know if I could swap it with the wr gears because I am in love with the 4 speed on motocross and wouldn't want their ratios changed.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2006 - 12:59 PM

I put a 470 BB kit on my 03. It is absolutely awesome. I purchased it from Langcourt. Price approx 350.00. Suspension is full Enzo and the bike is just perfect for a 03
You will notice more vibration - but the bike pulls and pulls and pulls.....much more than a 450

http://www.langcourt.com/

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.