Noise coming from '06 fork

3 replies to this topic
  • babyspankynhb

Posted August 25, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hey guys,

I was working on my bike last night and noticed that there was a rattle coming from one of the forks. It almost sounds like the spring is loose and rubbing against the body. I've never taken them apart, and honestly, don't really want to. It seems to work fine and dampen properly. Is that a normal thing, or should I venture into finding out what the noise is? Could it be doing damage to the fork?

• clark4131

Posted August 25, 2006 - 10:49 AM

That is NOT a normal sound. Like it or not, you need to open it up and see what's going on. Fork work is not that hard if you have the manual, it only seems intimidating. It's like doing the valves...provided you have the proper tools, once you do it, it's a breeze the next time...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • babyspankynhb

Posted August 25, 2006 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, only one fork makes the noise, and my dad's 06 doesn't do it either. I probably won't be riding it in the next few weeks, so that'll give me time to work on it. As long as the fork is apart... how hard is it to lower the ride height? Do you only have to cut the springs? I'm 5' 4" and its quite a stretch to touch the ground.

• clark4131

Posted August 25, 2006 - 02:05 PM

As far as lowering the height goes, I don't know. I know there are some who've had it done, but I believe they sent their parts away to have it done professionally. Do a search and see what you come up with...SC

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.