wont start in gear?

20 replies to this topic
  • mike96

Posted August 25, 2006 - 02:30 AM

hi folks, just noticed after my ride yesterday that my '04 wr450 no longer starts in gear...only in nuetral. any advise where to look.
Thanks in advance.

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 25, 2006 - 03:54 AM

Most likely the switch in the clutch perch is stuck. Give it a good cleaning and you should be good to go. Or just jumper the switch out and you can start it in any gear clutch-in/clutch-out.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:18 AM

if its still turning over and not starting,its more than likely the starter/battery weakening with age. these bikes are hard to start in gear. even with the clutch lever pulled in,the clutch pack never really totally disengages and puts alot of stress on that little starter causing it to turn over slower as it gets older :thumbsup:

• Desert Rat 450

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:23 AM

hi folks, just noticed after my ride yesterday that my '04 wr450 no longer starts in gear...only in nuetral. any advise where to look.
Thanks in advance.

Is there a reason you don't want to put it in Neutral :thumbsup: would you want to start it in gear for :ride: :applause:

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:26 AM

Is there a reason you don't want to put it in Neutral :thumbsup: would you want to start it in gear for :ride: :applause:

Actually it's pretty handy if you stall the bike. Just pull in the clutch and push the button. Off you go......

• Desert Rat 450

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:32 AM

Actually it's pretty handy if you stall the bike. Just pull in the clutch and push the button. Off you go......

That must be nice, I've never had an E-Start :ride: and we all know you don't kick in gear Thank's :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:39 AM

you can kick in gear it just takes a couple extra kicks :thumbsup: oh sorry, your on CRF :ride:

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:51 AM

replace the starter motor. They wear out. I am on my second unit and it seems to last about 2 years. I expect to put another one on next spring. Give it a little throttle and she should start in gear and overcome the added load of the clutch drag. Mine starts always and since I have the Rekluse neutral is harder to find so I always start in gear after the bike is on the trail. Got to love the happy button! :thumbsup:

• texas_hippie

Posted August 25, 2006 - 05:28 AM

you can kick in gear it just takes a couple extra kicks :thumbsup: oh sorry, your on CRF :ride:

Nice shot Bro! A three round burst to center mass...you oughtta change your name to "Sniper"! I love it when the Honda guys give us a chance to bust on 'em!

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted August 25, 2006 - 05:33 AM

snipers one need 1 round

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • texas_hippie

Posted August 25, 2006 - 05:51 AM

snipers one need 1 round

Oh yes..."one shot, one kill"...but just sooo damn satisfying to get that burst going at night, wearing NOGS! Dontcha agree? HOOOOOAAAAH!

• mike96

Posted August 25, 2006 - 06:41 AM

It seem to stop working after I fell to the left on my clutch perch.. so I will have to check that switch. I like the fact of not having to search for nuetral to restart my bike if I stall it. I guess thats why its there. Thanks for the advise.

• Desert Rat 450

Posted August 25, 2006 - 07:33 AM

Nice shot Bro! A three round burst to center mass...you oughtta change your name to "Sniper"! I love it when the Honda guys give us a chance to bust on 'em!

The fact is that I'm not so lazy not to put my bike in Neutral before starting it. If you read you will find I was asking mike96 why he wanted to start it in Gear. I wasn't trying to talk S**t and degrade the Brand of bike that he rides. And if you read some more you will see that PBDBlue informed me that the WR450 comes w/ an E- start and how that makes starting in gear convenient.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 25, 2006 - 07:40 AM

The fact is that I'm not so lazy not to put my bike in Neutral before starting it. If you read you will find I was asking mike96 why he wanted to start it in Gear. I wasn't trying to talk S**t and degrade the Brand of bike that he rides. And if you read some more you will see that PBDBlue informed me that the WR450 comes w/ an E- start and how that makes starting in gear convenient.

Most harescrambles I race are dead engine starts with Rider's hands on helmet until flag drops. (This is supposed to even the playing field for guys that have e-start). I have messed with my clutch now for years to try and get a reliable one kick start (faster than e-button) I am tired of getting beat off the line by 2 smokes, I need the thing to start first kick in 2nd gear with clutch pulled in. I am succesful 85% of the time.

• JRAMBO

Posted August 25, 2006 - 08:20 AM

I wish I could figure out how to get my bike to start in gear consistently on my 02 WR for the harescrambles no e-button on the 02 I always get out in the middle of the pack then have to catch the leaders.If I could start it in gear I would be with the leaders my be able to place better.Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Desert Rat 450

Posted August 25, 2006 - 08:24 AM

Most harescrambles I race are dead engine starts with Rider's hands on helmet until flag drops. (This is supposed to even the playing field for guys that have e-start). I have messed with my clutch now for years to try and get a reliable one kick start (faster than e-button) I am tired of getting beat off the line by 2 smokes, I need the thing to start first kick in 2nd gear with clutch pulled in. I am succesful 85% of the time.

• GCannon

Posted August 25, 2006 - 11:02 AM

I wish I could figure out how to get my bike to start in gear consistently on my 02 WR for the harescrambles no e-button on the 02 I always get out in the middle of the pack then have to catch the leaders.If I could start it in gear I would be with the leaders my be able to place better.Any advice would be much appreciated.

My 02 will start in gear no problem but I need to climb up on the pegs and give it a good kick. I am also pretty carful with the clutch adjustment.

Can you stand on the pegs during a Harescramble start? (if you have a kick stand ) :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 25, 2006 - 01:03 PM

The best way is to shut the bike off in gear with clutch pulled in and dont release the clutch, only problem with that is that most race organizers are now going to the "both hands on helmet dead engine start". If we adjust our clutches tight so there is no free play it will start pretty easily and then use an after market perch with the large thumb wheel? My 04' has an adjust on the fly cable but it's not real user friendly..........

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 25, 2006 - 01:05 PM

My 02 will start in gear no problem but I need to climb up on the pegs and give it a good kick. I am also pretty carful with the clutch adjustment.

Can you stand on the pegs during a Harescramble start? (if you have a kick stand ) :thumbsup:

Yes but you're not gonna get off the line very fast that way........

• JRAMBO

Posted August 25, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Ya I heard the trick with holding it in till you start it again but your right we also have too have both hands on the helmet so I will keep wishing till I get a new WR with the E- button.I guess if I can place decent now I will have something too look forward to when I get the button.I might be able too get out a little quicker but oh well its still a blast racing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.