90 octane gas, toulene or av mix?

8 replies to this topic
  • radish150

Posted August 24, 2006 - 08:24 PM

Recently I had my 99s engine rebuilt and broke it in on 97 octane gas and it ran like a raped ape. Now Im back in the sticks and all I can get my hands on is 90 and life is just not the same.

So, I have read the endless debates on av gas and still seems the verdict is out, some say yea some say nay. So, anyone out there tried using say a 50-50 av gas blend with say a 91 octane gas on a WR400? If so, what color was the gas you used? I´m investigating the availability of toulene, not yet sure if that is an option, but anyone tried boosting their gas with a toulene mix?

I sure miss that third gear wheelie that I had on the good gas.

thanks

• ARin

Posted August 24, 2006 - 10:35 PM

in the sticks???

any difference in elevation??? may need to rejet. Usually a few octane points doesnt make the difference between that 3rd gear wheelie or not.

usually the gains from higher octane are a little more subtle.

• pkcof

Posted August 25, 2006 - 12:13 AM

yeah, third and (with a little persuasion) fourth gear wheelies are relatively easy ... what elevation are you riding in Peru ??

• texas_hippie

Posted August 25, 2006 - 05:06 AM

Well, here we go again with the octane debate. Octane has absolutely nothing to do with how "powerful" your fuel is! Octane is simply an additive that stops predetonation in a high compression engine. I know this is gonna start an argument so before you guys get all spun up, kindly go to this site, and it will explain it all to you. http://auto.howstuff.../question90.htm or simply type in octane in your google search engine. the same article will also explain to you that avgas is just leaded (ethyl) gasoline. As for touluene, we use it to dissolve rubber in the aviation community. You want to put that shit in your bike? Good luck with that, Bro...

If your bike is running different, it's not because of the fuels octane content. Go with what ARin is talking about, and look for some other reason. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • radish150

Posted August 25, 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hey T Hippie, nay sayers et al. Your going to maintain that it´s IMPOSSIBLE that the difference between 90 octane and race gas could make my bike run stronger???????? Why the hell do people use race gas anyway then? Just to stop detonation? Cmon, I used put race gas in my boat once in a while and it ran way better than pump premium, chemistry and slide-rules and Einsteinian physics aside, it ran quite a bit better. I don't think it´s really possible that all the people that feel their bikes run better on alternative fuels can be attributed only to placebo effect. I mean people are pretty stupid but not that stupid. The running characteristics of my bike changed over the course of one tank of gas, from 97 to 90, and from RIP to R.I.P.

You know, really according ACCEPTED laws of physics a bumble bee should not be able to fly, but it wasn't taught that, so it does.

-one leg already into my asbestos John Travolta style leisure suit. :ride: :thumbsup:

mark...

• pjriss

Posted August 25, 2006 - 11:13 AM

Hey T Hippie, nay sayers et al. Your going to maintain that it´s IMPOSSIBLE that the difference between 90 octane and race gas could make my bike run stronger???????? Why the hell do people use race gas anyway then? Just to stop detonation? Cmon, I used put race gas in my boat once in a while and it ran way better than pump premium, chemistry and slide-rules and Einsteinian physics aside, it ran quite a bit better. I don't think it´s really possible that all the people that feel their bikes run better on alternative fuels can be attributed only to placebo effect. I mean people are pretty stupid but not that stupid. The running characteristics of my bike changed over the course of one tank of gas, from 97 to 90, and from RIP to R.I.P.

You know, really according ACCEPTED laws of physics a bumble bee should not be able to fly, but it wasn't taught that, so it does.

-one leg already into my asbestos John Travolta style leisure suit. :ride: :thumbsup:

mark...

To answer your question, yes it's impossible to tell the difference between 90 and 97 octane just on the basis of octane rating and for the most part yes people use race gas to stop detonation. Different fuel sources are another thing entirely. You might have been using good quality petroleum 97 octane from one source then switched to shitty 90 octane watery ethanol diluted off spec crap that may or may not pass a lab analysis as even being gasoline and of course you would notice the difference. But that difference would have nothing to do with octane rating.

• texas_hippie

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:34 PM

PJ...you took the words right out of my mouth. I definately agree "race gas" makes my bike bike run better. If you look at the haz mat data sheet that comes with it, you will find other additives that standard pump gas doesn't have. The higher octane rating is just there for the purpose stopping the pinging (pre-detonation) that a higher compression (i.e. a race motor) would be likely to have. My Bro-in-law put some regular (87 octane) fuel in my bike one time, not knowing it was only supposed to run on 93 octane or better, as the sticker on the tank plainly stated. I didn't feel any power loss, but damn the rattling from the top end was unbelieveable. I noticed it immediately. Of course, that crap was drained right away, and replaced with the "right stuff".
It does piss me off having to pay twenty cents a gallon more, but hey, c'est la vie!

• radish150

Posted August 26, 2006 - 11:30 PM

yeah, third and (with a little persuasion) fourth gear wheelies are relatively easy ... what elevation are you riding in Peru ??

Hey PK, 400ft and huuuumid. 4th gear wheelies, sounds umm... fast.

• radish150

Posted August 26, 2006 - 11:36 PM

Only octane booster here is Abro (ugh) and it's a joke, so the only option is to TRY say a 50 50 mix of the best av gas I can get, and maybe I'll try some of that dandy rubber disolver we were talking about. Cant be that dangerous when it's been said that normal gas is allready 40% toulene (that should be confirmed tho).

If anything actually works Ill report, but I will likely only do it once in a while when I really wanna get the roost on.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.