1984 XR 500 - That's a nice bike !!

15 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 24, 2006 - 05:58 PM

I forgot about this exact model and came to the conclusion that looks wise it's killer and I like it more (a lot more) then the 650 of today.

I think the shape of the gas tank is so cool and the bike just has a compact look about it. It looks fairly light too.

Anyone know the weight of it? How long did they produce this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

That is one sweet ride! :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted August 24, 2006 - 06:13 PM

Dual Carbs on those sucked. If you're dying for an air cooled one, get a XR600R in the newest year you can afford.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 24, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I had the duel carbs on a XL600 I had. What was so bad about them that you say they sucked? I didn't find anything wrong with that set up and as a matter of fact always wondered if they helped the bike run better then a single carb set up.

I thought it was pretty trick how one open for the 1st 1/3 turn of the throttle or so and then the other one would join in.

I think this is my favorite red that Honda ever made too. I think that's the orange - red, isn't it?

So whats so terrible wrong with this model that you would not recommend it? Maybe your just talking competition wise, I'm talking from a looks - collector point of view where top notch performance in any catagories just isn't all that important.

• cleonard

Posted August 24, 2006 - 08:08 PM

I had the duel carbs on a XL600 I had. What was so bad about them that you say they sucked? I didn't find anything wrong with that set up and as a matter of fact always wondered if they helped the bike run better then a single carb set up.

I thought it was pretty trick how one open for the 1st 1/3 turn of the throttle or so and then the other one would join in.

I think this is my favorite red that Honda ever made too. I think that's the orange - red, isn't it?

So whats so terrible wrong with this model that you would not recommend it? Maybe your just talking competition wise, I'm talking from a looks - collector point of view where top notch performance in any catagories just isn't all that important.

If you left the bike stock they weren't too bad. Like every other bike they came a bit lean from the factory. They had a greater tendency to burn valves than the single carb versions. Surprisingly, the dual carb 250 was the worst for this. Because there are two carbs, it's much harder to tune them. Add a pipe and open up the intake and they became overly lean valve burning machines.

Peak power wise the dual carb setups are better potential than the later single carb versions. It's just getting them setup correctly was very difficult.

• Matt C

Posted August 24, 2006 - 08:11 PM

My buddy had an 84 back in the day. It was a wheelie machine :thumbsup: Just dont go off any jumps! I did on his and the left foot peg broke off on landing. That was a hard one to explain when I wasn't supposed to be riding it in the first place lol

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 25, 2006 - 06:50 AM

The thing about the carbs is somewhat of a myth, and somewaht true. The thing that most had problems with because they didn't know how to do it or because it could be difficult was syncing the carbs after rejetting them because they had to be synced or they would not progressivly open and close right. They had a bad rep for being hard to start and that was due to the early ones were out no body knew the Famous XR starting drill so they would flood them right off the bat. I have see guys who have never owned an xr jump on and start twisting the trhottle like they are trying to twist it off prior to trying thr kick it! Thats the killer for easy starting an XR..

• timothypg

Posted August 25, 2006 - 10:01 AM

mines an 86 xr600r looks the same, i love the dual carbs. they work perfect. they are set-up to open at the same time, no stagger. power right now. 56mm of combined carburetion, how can you beat that.

• Docmarkw

Posted August 25, 2006 - 10:13 AM

I had a 1983 and it was a great bike. The color was an orange red and the dual carb set up was never a problem. On a long desert rides I could get up to 50 + miles per gallon if I was just cruising. I have to admit when I first got the bike I would go out and sit in the garage and just stare at it because it looked so bitchen. I wish I would of hung onto that bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 25, 2006 - 11:34 AM

I had a 1983 and it was a great bike. The color was an orange red and the dual carb set up was never a problem. On a long desert rides I could get up to 50 + miles per gallon if I was just cruising. I have to admit when I first got the bike I would go out and sit in the garage and just stare at it because it looked so bitchen. I wish I would of hung onto that bike.

Well you could always get another one! :thumbsup:

Check out this one right on TT. Seems like a good deal to me. Wish it was a bit closer to me though.

http://www.thumperta...p?product=12410

Honda should come back with that orange - red color again too. I remeber back in the 80's when Honda had a whole crew of motox guys riding with that color. You could pick them out very easily. Ashame they went to a boring deeper red.

• BIGBORE600r

Posted September 02, 2006 - 02:26 PM

what is the "famous XR starting drill" I'm not familiar with this procedure, but I just bought a 1987 XR600R with the dual carbs and I would love to find an easier way to start this beast!

• timothypg

Posted September 03, 2006 - 05:24 AM

hi. i turn the idle screw in about 1-1 1/2 turns. full choke.manual decomp. tdc, then a very little past. NO throttle. kick. when it starts, half choke for 30 sec.-1min.choke off. re-adjust idle screw. let her rip. mines an 86.

• justicedone

Posted September 03, 2006 - 06:28 AM

I used to have one of those in 85, and a 85 Yamaha TriZ250...man them were the days. I was much younger and had a lot of fun on them bikes :thumbsup:

• redrider91

Posted September 03, 2006 - 06:37 AM

Back in when i was a baby, my brother had An 84XR and he used to give me rides, LOL that is off the subject but i loved it ha ha so thats my opionion,,, back in 91.

• Few

Posted September 03, 2006 - 09:10 AM

My god that one is CLEAN compared to my old '84. I would buy it in a heart beat if I could. I did not have a truck or trailer when I got mine used in '85, I rode it home on the freeway at dusk to skirt the cops. That bike had more power than my '85 XL600 I had also at the time.

• frankstr

Posted September 03, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I have a 86 XR600,dual carbs, Great bike for it's time,Runs great...
But I really love my XR650R....
Check out the garage

• cbaranski

Posted September 09, 2006 - 06:42 AM

I own a 96 XR600R with a Al Baker 630cc engine and it tuned almost a perfect as I can get it. My brother has a stock 84 XR500R and it runs flawlessly, stays with my 600 with no problems. I think the dual carb bikes run sweet. Think 2 28mm carbs vs. 1 38mm carb. Almost twice the air flow.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.