1994 XR650L...Spark Plug Removal

5 replies to this topic
  • richgiffen

Posted August 24, 2006 - 05:53 PM

Silly question for you folks probably, but I am a newbie to the XR's. Previously a DRZ owner. I got a used bike for a great price, and it runs, but has been neglected and needs TLC. I attempted to change the plug but I cant get to it. Is there a special tool to remove the plug????

• oilplug

Posted August 24, 2006 - 08:50 PM

I did this job just last night for the first time (Picked up my XR 650L 3-months ago)

Use a proper 18 mill spark plug socket on a short exstension with a ratchet. Make sure the socket you buy is a 3/8th drive and not 1/2". Don't overtighten when putting it back in and gap the plug correctly (it's .8mm I think but double check) I find it easier to get at if I pull the tank off (undo one bolt and fuel line, turn petcock to off position and store tank somewhere where the dogs and kids can't dent it)

A deep socket won't work. I messed around with one for 20 minutes before giving up and going and buyiing the correct tool which is what I should of done in the first place.

Good luck

• richgiffen

Posted August 24, 2006 - 10:08 PM

thanks for the reply. I took the whole bike apart to get to the plug like you stated, and played with various 18mm sockets for 20 minutes before facing the facts I needed a special tool. Glad to hear the i DID need a special tool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 25, 2006 - 06:05 AM

The original plug wrench that came with the bike works, so does the one from an XR400 toolkit. MotionPro makes a thinwall long socket, it is a bit pricey @ around $23 but it works great, the TT store has it Here dead-center on the page.

• motomonte

Posted August 25, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Hey Rich, Happy just mentioned it ,the stock one works better,since you have to turn it with a wrech instead of a ratchet you get more space/clearance to do the job.Try to get one either used or new. :thumbsup:

• richgiffen

Posted August 26, 2006 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for all the help...New to the XR's, Im an old DRZ owner. My XR didnt come with tools, so i will have to scam one from a friend. See ya out there....

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.