2006 450f jetting

4 replies to this topic
  • dirtking

Posted August 24, 2006 - 05:40 PM

I installed a 48 pilot jet/2 turns fuel screw out on my 2006 YZ450F today and when i rev about 1/4 throttle it misses and it still backfires on deceleration although not as bad as with stock pilot jet. Everything else on the bike is stock. Any help would be appreciated!

• mxracer206

Posted August 24, 2006 - 06:04 PM

You most likely need to go the other way with your pilot but some backfiring is normal. I would try a 40 or 42 pilot and lean the needle one clip and see if it does not run better. That is what we run in our area and seems ok, most of the bikes are jetted for closer to sea level end need leaned out for most everywhere else.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted August 25, 2006 - 02:16 AM

My opinion is that it will be a suicide to lean out the already lean factory jetting on 06 450. 42-165 is stock and I know nobody who has gone leaner.
48-170 worked fine for me even for the hottest summer temps +30 Celsius at sea level with fuel screw adjustments only.
Richen = raise the needle one clip (needle affects from 1/4 throttle and up) and put a 170 main and adjust the fuel screw, I'd say you'll be fine. If not, you have an intake or exhaust leak or ride at high elevation.
BTW - some popping is normal. :thumbsup:

• mxracer206

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:40 AM

SureBlue, do you think even in our area we would still need to richen up the bike? We are using an 06 YZ-450 until the the new ones get here and it was a dog until I put in the 40 pilot and leaned the clip. I have never jetted for sea level but in Oklahoma we are ussually to rich drom the factory, our RMZ-450 has a 38 pilot stock.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 25, 2006 - 07:54 AM

I installed a 48 pilot jet/2 turns fuel screw out on my 2006 YZ450F today and when i rev about 1/4 throttle it misses and it still backfires on deceleration although not as bad as with stock pilot jet. Everything else on the bike is stock. Any help would be appreciated!

try a 165 or 168 mj....if it still pops try a 45pj

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.