Special tools required to replace countershaft seal?

4 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted August 24, 2006 - 10:35 AM

I haven't removed the counter shaft sprocket but the oil appears to be coming from that area.
Any special tools/techniques for replacing the seal?
Thanks

• thouk

Posted August 24, 2006 - 11:36 AM

Screwdriver to remove, make that a flat blade 1/4 high carbon steel with a slight champfer. Then a socket just bigger then the countershaft sprocket. I hope that helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted August 24, 2006 - 02:04 PM

So you remove the old seal with the flat head screw driver, then push the new seal in with the socket? Could it be that easy?
Thanks!

• ShadyatBest

Posted August 24, 2006 - 02:24 PM

So you remove the old seal with the flat head screw driver, then push the new seal in with the socket? Could it be that easy?
Thanks!

Actually easier then that. Push the new seal with your fingers and make sure it lines up with the taper just past the lip. Dont push it all the way to the bearing

• slowxr

Posted August 26, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I removed the counter shaft sprocket and cleaned the area. If it were the seal that was leaking, does the seal "look" bad or not seated properly? The reason I ask is because the oil seal looks good. I can't visually see a breach in it's integrity.
Also, there was accumulated oil around the gear shifter shaft. I noticed there is a seal in that area too. Does the counter shaft oil seal usually let go before the other?
Any idea's?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.