Acerbis Handguards with ProTaper Bars

6 replies to this topic
  • redrocket190

Posted August 24, 2006 - 09:36 AM

I put ProTapers on my '99 WR400F and wanted to re-install my Acerbis handguards. The bit that goes in the end of the bar appears to come in two flavors: 7/8" aluminum i.e. Renthals and 7/8" stock steel. The former is to big to go inside the ProTapers. So I ordered a "ProTaper kit". When this arrived it is for mounting the end that goes on the bars near the clamp. So I am still left with the bit that goes in the bar-end being to big for the inside diameter of the PropTaper bar. Do I need ream the bar out, or am I missing something? Thanks!

• simon@vic

Posted August 24, 2006 - 12:43 PM

pull off the rubber tube/sleeve thing.

• redrocket190

Posted August 24, 2006 - 04:41 PM

If there were anything rubber around to pull off, I would, but there isn't. Next!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nut

Posted August 24, 2006 - 06:39 PM

redrocket i sent you a pm. later

• simon@vic

Posted August 25, 2006 - 07:30 AM

take a picture................ :thumbsup:

• o2golfpar

Posted April 20, 2009 - 10:50 AM

I have the exact same problem with my 2008 WR. What size bar inserts kit is needed that is small enough to fit in the inside of the bar? Help? Suggestions?

• wr450mazz

Posted April 21, 2009 - 01:23 AM

I had the same problems when i fitted the pro taper bars as well.
The gen-yamaha bar end inserts seem to be longer than most aftermarket hand guards.
I had to get a drill bit the same inside id as the bars and drill in a little further until the inserts and guard ends were flush with the bars.
Been aok since.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.