red sticker rolled back to 2000 and earlier models?

15 replies to this topic
  • LJ

Posted August 24, 2006 - 08:27 AM

Has anybody heard of California changing the the red sticker bikes from 2003 and older to 2000 and older?

Someone I know sent me the following e-mail:

I also have a 02” CR125 that’s green… for now, when you re-register your bike they are rolling the red sticker year back to 2000 from 2003, so now even my CR125 will be Red. I have an 04’ CRF250R which I love, it is such an awesome track bike, quick, light, great suspension. I’ve also got a TTr90 for my little guy, a restored 1970 K1 Honda MiniTrail and an electric pocket bike….. If I buy another motorcycle my wife will kill me.

I don't believe it. I've searched all over the web and found nothing about this, so I'm guessing it's a mistake by the DMV.

• LJ

Posted August 24, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Whoops, I meant to say 2000 and NEWER models, not earlier models. Sorry for the mistake...

• offthewall

Posted August 24, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Sounds kinda iffy to me. I certainly haven't heard of anything like that.

• Pincushion

Posted August 24, 2006 - 10:12 AM

You'd probably have more luck posting this in the Cali forum. I lived there for many years and still have many friends there and haven't heard of that. It would spread like wildfire if it were true..... just wait a few days and see.

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2006 - 12:00 PM

We just re-upped our 2001 YZ250F in June. It's still green.

It's still for sale, too.

Posted August 24, 2006 - 12:11 PM

I got a newly registered 02CR250 that got a green this summer.

• DuelRule

Posted August 24, 2006 - 12:28 PM

My "02" CR250 is still Green also. Don't think this one will hold true!

• kid on a 426

Posted August 24, 2006 - 07:26 PM

It's still for sale, too.

My friends in the market for a green stickered four stroke. How much are you asking for it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Octane250F

Posted August 24, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Sounds like BS to me. I could see them saying that certain bikes made after '06 arent green sticker anymore, but they cant just change the rules for bikes that were made 5 years ago.

• David37

Posted August 24, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Definitely BS, nothing has changed with 2002 and OLDER 2 & 4 strokes being issued Green Stickers.

• LJ

Posted August 25, 2006 - 07:52 AM

I think it is B.S. also. It must have been a screw up at the DMV.

• DaveJ

Posted August 25, 2006 - 11:35 AM

I monitor what CARB (California Air Resource Board) does fairly closely and can tell you that there's nothing official or anything under consideration of such a thing.

However, there are some rumors about them radically changing the red sticker program, given that it's not working.

I mean…the only thing the red sticker program has achieved is the proliferation of private tracks and the continual operation of gross polluters, (the old smokers).

By the way, the red sticker program was created by a joint effort between CARB, the AMA and various representatives of the manufactures, (it’s not us verses them). What has happened and will occur within California is simply a stage for what will take place for the remainder of the nation so don’t assume you’re safe from it all. In other words, in two to three years we’ll all be riding the same fuel-injected catalytic converter equipped bikes. You can run but you can’t hide.

This in part to Federal Standards, but mainly in that manufactures will build bikes that fit the needs of the majority, in which California outranks every other state. In fact, if you add up the second, third, fourth and fifth largest selling markets, state by state, they barely surpass the number of OHVs that sell each year in California. Additionally, California has the more than twice the "active" ridership than the number two and three states (Florida and Texas).

• stillsun

Posted August 25, 2006 - 12:14 PM

This in part to Federal Standards, but mainly in that manufactures will build bikes that fit the needs of the majority, in which California outranks every other state. In fact, if you add up the second, third, fourth and fifth largest selling markets, state by state, they barely surpass the number of OHVs that sell each year in California. Additionally, California has the more than twice the "active" ridership than the number two and three states (Florida and Texas).

Problem with your logic is in limiting your numbers to JUST the U.S., you need to include all countries, much of them are much more lax than even the "other 49 states" here in the U.S.... we've had "special" cars/bikes in California for years, I don't think you guys will be causing us to move up to your level anytime soon, the rest of us will always be "slowly" tagging behind, but as long as I live in my conservative state of Oklahoma (which dropped doing vehicles emissions testing a few years ago, how's that for following the Republik of Kalifornia) I am not worrying about it too much.

J

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 25, 2006 - 12:16 PM

By the way, the red sticker program was created by a joint effort between CARB, the AMA and various representatives of the manufactures, (it’s not us verses them). What has happened and will occur within California is simply a stage for what will take place for the remainder of the nation so don’t assume you’re safe from it all. In other words, in two to three years we’ll all be riding the same fuel-injected catalytic converter equipped bikes. You can run but you can’t hide.

Dirtbikes with catalytic converters :thumbsup: Oh well, better than not being able to ride at all :ride:

• DaveJ

Posted August 25, 2006 - 01:39 PM

Problem with your logic is in limiting your numbers to JUST the U.S., you need to include all countries, much of them are much more lax than even the "other 49 states" here in the U.S.... we've had "special" cars/bikes in California for years, I don't think you guys will be causing us to move up to your level anytime soon, the rest of us will always be "slowly" tagging behind, but as long as I live in my conservative state of Oklahoma (which dropped doing vehicles emissions testing a few years ago, how's that for following the Republik of Kalifornia) I am not worrying about it too much.

J

Your state most likely stopped emission checks since cars were no longer failing and since owners stopped removing smog devices (like most did in the 70's). However, your car still has the same emission equipment as we do in California, assuming you're driving something that isn't more than 10 years old.

As for bikes, there has been a 49 state model and a California model for some time, given that the requirements between the two sectors were small. Things like non-vent gas caps, crankcase breathers...etc.

Now, with standards changing at the Federal level, (EPA) you're not going to see that much longer, (good-bye custom choppers). Same thing that happened with cars. At some point, it cost the manufactures too much to make special cars or bikes for just one state and they all become standard.

• DaveJ

Posted August 25, 2006 - 01:40 PM

Dirtbikes with catalytic converters :thumbsup: Oh well, better than not being able to ride at all :ride:

Good attitude!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.