can't get my 650l to wake up

54 replies to this topic
  • LotsOfBikes

Posted September 17, 2006 - 09:13 PM

The pulse generator is too simple to have a failure. I doubt it is the problem.

Replace the spark plug AND the wire. Once the wire carbon tracks, it is garbage. My 650L is on it's third one.

I had the same problem as captb with my CDI.

It first acted up about two weeks after I bought it in May of 1996.. There would be no problems for a year, then it would quit running for no reason.. I'd pull the plug, there would be no spark.. Then 5 minutes later there would be spark.. Another year or two would go by and the same thing would happen.. I had no idea it was the CDI. It irritated me to no end.

Come 2005, it died entirely, and would not spark at all; finally, I could FIND the problem for sure.. I replaced the CDI, and I swear that bike started up before one rotation of the engine. After getting the new CDI, the bike starts up every time quicker and stronger than it did when it was brand new. My bike has over 60,000 abusive miles on it.

Which begs the question: Why would those CDI's run so poorly for so long, and not die right off the bat? It was so very frusterating!!!

• rmhrc630

Posted September 17, 2006 - 09:21 PM

The pulse generator is too simple to have a failure. I doubt it is the problem.

Replace the spark plug AND the wire. Once the wire carbon tracks, it is garbage. My 650L is on it's third one.

I had the same problem as captb with my CDI.

It first acted up about two weeks after I bought it in May of 1996.. There would be no problems for a year, then it would quit running for no reason.. I'd pull the plug, there would be no spark.. Then 5 minutes later there would be spark.. Another year or two would go by and the same thing would happen.. I had no idea it was the CDI. It irritated me to no end.

Come 2005, it died entirely, and would not spark at all; finally, I could FIND the problem for sure.. I replaced the CDI, and I swear that bike started up before one rotation of the engine. After getting the new CDI, the bike starts up every time quicker and stronger than it did when it was brand new. My bike has over 60,000 abusive miles on it.

Which begs the question: Why would those CDI's run so poorly for so long, and not die right off the bat? It was so very frusterating!!!

LOB I alos wonder about the CDI and it's failure rate.

Perhaps someone can chime in and explain why they fail?

• wundah

Posted September 22, 2006 - 11:35 PM

all my questions are to be answered tomorrow, the new cdi is coming and i will know why all this has happened. at least i hope so! more to come as i know it.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 23, 2006 - 12:07 AM

hey please post as soon as possible as we need to know!!!

• wundah

Posted September 23, 2006 - 12:59 PM

dammmmnnnit! that is my response :lame: :p :bonk: :eek: :thumbsup: cdi didn't fix it

• Cpres

Posted September 23, 2006 - 01:05 PM

Take another long hard look at the switches and wireing. Honda swithes get corrosion in them and cause problems as do ignition switches. I have seen more then one bike with a problem caused in a switch.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 24, 2006 - 06:46 PM

dammmmnnnit! that is my response :lame: :p :bonk: :eek: :thumbsup: cdi didn't fix it

Now your back to tracking it down. I didn't go back and read this thread so I forgot if you changed the stator out or least had it checked to see if it has any output. Also the ignition switch was a good suggestion. Just because it cranks the starter motor over does not mean it is allowing juice to go elswhere.

Was this a competent shop you took it to? They should have tested the stator for you. It sounds a lot like the only thing working for you is your battery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wundah

Posted September 25, 2006 - 11:46 AM

thanks but i actually was trying to not go to the shop to fix her but as of this morning she sits waiting in the q. the shop is good and i trust them but i have been trying to do this on my own so that i can have a better knowledge of my bike and feel like i could fix her ailments and save a few dollars...i was wrong. spent many dollars and still nothing so now i'm just in a waiting pattern and the tough thing is that snow just fell in the mountains not more than a week ago so my season is coming to a close sooner than i want. oh well a few weeks of riding and then a ton next spring.

• wundah

Posted September 25, 2006 - 03:03 PM

wow! dead kill switch! can you believe it, i feel like an idiot. oh well she runs according to the shop and i'm on my way to pick her up now. anyone have a kill switch so i can stop spending so much money?

• rmhrc630

Posted September 25, 2006 - 08:13 PM

wow! dead kill switch! can you believe it, i feel like an idiot. oh well she runs according to the shop and i'm on my way to pick her up now. anyone have a kill switch so i can stop spending so much money?

I thought you checked all the wiring?

• elrontx

Posted September 29, 2006 - 12:05 PM

how much did the shop charge you?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 29, 2006 - 07:33 PM

the tough thing is that snow just fell in the mountains not more than a week ago so my season is coming to a close sooner than i want. oh well a few weeks of riding and then a ton next spring.

Hey most of that snow is melted right now. We have had a week of really nice weather. The snows will return and most likely rather soon. Don't worry about finding places to ride. I live in Quincy and ride all year long. We may get a total of 30 days un-ridable but not usually. Winter time is good for desert and Green Dot riding. You could always tag along. Throw that beast in the back of a pickup and head on over. Cashmere is not that far away, that is where you live isn't it?

• wundah

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:18 AM

i did, just not methodically enough i guess. since friday i've ridden about 200 miles and i'm loving it. only issue is that for some reason after the shop "tuned" her she won't start up when cold...i have to use starter fluid and then she coughs to life. can't even choke her, seems like a faulty tune to me but i'm not going to throw blame until after i talk with them.

• wundah

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:18 AM

100 bucks...cleaned the carb again for me as well.

• wundah

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:20 AM

yep, although i work up at stevens pass in the winter so i generally lose focus on riding my bike and switch to riding my skis!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.