can't get my 650l to wake up

54 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted August 28, 2006 - 05:37 AM

I am at 300 feet above sea level and using a 165 main (dynojet) and a 55 (Kehien) pilot, 2 1/4 turns out on the airscrew. Runs strong and ez cold starts, crisp throttle response.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 28, 2006 - 08:54 AM

Hey fellow Washingtonian, I have been watching your continuing saga anxiously waiting to see the outcome. I love reading about the final solutions. It does sound like your on the right track - electrical. :thumbsup:

• wundah

Posted September 04, 2006 - 07:43 PM

alright gentlemen and ladies if you are out there...the bike still has no spark!!! all that and i think it's got to be the damn cdi!!! :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: now that's been said, are there any things i have missed to check before i buy a new one of these? anything at all...? so ready for this girl to run but at least i have learned a huge amount about the bike. just to recap for those who haven't or don't want to read the last three pages...bike wouldn't start, replaced jets with stock option. new plug, new battery...then the spark quit. primary solenoid off the frame under the tank tested...good. kill switch tested...good. pulse generator tested...bad. took off engine cover and scraped for hours to get the gasket off, replaced cdi and gasket...no spark. the bike is mad at me i think. but i am not going to let her win although my wife would like me to just give up it ain't happenin. that's the story and i am just looking for some more advice to help me on my quest. thanks and look forward to any new ideas.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 04, 2006 - 11:54 PM

Down here a new 650L CDI is only $120 which is a $100US.

For the absolute Headflock it has been surely you'd just get the CDI yeah?

But please let us know how it is proceeding

• F15EAGLE

Posted September 05, 2006 - 04:40 AM

You might want to check to make sure your electrical ground is good.

good luck,

W.Shaw

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 05, 2006 - 11:16 AM

With a bike that is 11 years old the wiring sure could be suspect. The grounds might be rusted but I would also check every wire for brittleness and possible breaks concealed by the rubber coating. A continuity check on every thing. Have you checked the stator while the bike is turning over for an electrical pulse. When this all started you had a spark. Recheck coil, plug wire and plug wire cap. I am sure you have done all of this but it's always wise to measure twice before you cut as a carpenter would say.

If all the wiring checks out OK then get the new CDI since that is all that is left.

I know I haven't said anything that anyone else has not already said but I always keep checking before I finally give up the money on an electrical part since there is no return on any electrical part once taken out of the box. Take your time, lack of patience is your worst enemy.

• radvocaat

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:04 PM

Since I have a few buds with the same bike as me, and you, we can swap parts to isolate any problems. Maybe you know someone that will let you try there CDI. very easy to swap out.
Hope'n for ya!
good luck and post progress

checking wires for breaks within the rubber sounded like a good suggestion to me, with a older bike that you are somewhat unsure of it's history!

• wundah

Posted September 06, 2006 - 06:54 PM

my mission is set before me for the weekend...look at every wire, inspect every connection and look for someone local with a similar bike. i found out at the honda dealership that the cdi is the same from 93-07 so let's hope that i can find one. i live in cashmere, wa which is pretty close to wenatchee and/or leavenworth...anyone near?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 06, 2006 - 09:04 PM

I live in Quincy, WA and if I had an L model I would loan you the CDI. So I'm not much help.

• wundah

Posted September 13, 2006 - 07:10 PM

:thumbsup: the bike is going to the shop...the electrical is not being solved and it's almost winter :applause: you all have probably experienced the stare of confusion, disbelief and utter frustration of trying everything you can and still not having it work. it's destroyed me so off to the shop with her, that's the update and i will hopefully have a smile and a not to light of a wallet after all is said and done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmhrc630

Posted September 13, 2006 - 07:16 PM

:thumbsup: the bike is going to the shop...the electrical is not being solved and it's almost winter :applause: you all have probably experienced the stare of confusion, disbelief and utter frustration of trying everything you can and still not having it work. it's destroyed me so off to the shop with her, that's the update and i will hopefully have a smile and a not to light of a wallet after all is said and done.

hey dude I have a spare CDI

express mail from me here in Melbourne Australia would only be a few days

really hanging to find out what the issue is

• wundah

Posted September 13, 2006 - 07:29 PM

wow, austrailia...how much would that be?(i live in cashmere, washington zip-98815) i am almost positive it's the cdi but i was able to borrow the local shops service manual for a week and even with that i got super frustrated. while doing the diagnostic from the wires that connect into the cdi it said that my ignition was bad but i exposed all the wiring behind the headlight and there was good conductivity from the battery box to there and then same for the kill switch, it tested good to go. something is wrong, don't know what it is. really appreciate the offer and i am interested for sure.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 13, 2006 - 07:47 PM

wow, austrailia...how much would that be?(i live in cashmere, washington zip-98815) i am almost positive it's the cdi but i was able to borrow the local shops service manual for a week and even with that i got super frustrated. while doing the diagnostic from the wires that connect into the cdi it said that my ignition was bad but i exposed all the wiring behind the headlight and there was good conductivity from the battery box to there and then same for the kill switch, it tested good to go. something is wrong, don't know what it is. really appreciate the offer and i am interested for sure.

Recap:

Is there spark across the spark plug? ( I have not read entire thread)

If all wires have been checked and battery is good (??) then it will be you CDI - they are kinda known to crap out on 650Ls

I will bet it is wiring and CDI related - you must make sure you have a good ground and you also must make sure your starter/run/kill button is 100% as they can crap out over time.

I just dont want you to spend $200 on service time only to have to end up buying a CDI anyway.

• wundah

Posted September 13, 2006 - 08:00 PM

yah me too! wires are good, ground is great. just no spark. at first i was getting a spark only once and then nothing. now nothing

• rmhrc630

Posted September 13, 2006 - 08:09 PM

yah me too! wires are good, ground is great. just no spark. at first i was getting a spark only once and then nothing. now nothing

It's your CDI then.

Beg Borrow or steal a CDI and plug it in - it's quite possibly the easiest thing to check - have you got some mates that own 650Ls that will lend you the CDI?

• wundah

Posted September 13, 2006 - 09:59 PM

nope, no buddies with cdi's. i just moved to town a month ago and my only mates are the ones at the shop so far. they have been super helpful but the problem is still yet to be solved. anyone here have a cdi they would part with?

• wundah

Posted September 13, 2006 - 10:01 PM

nope, no buddies with cdi's. i just moved to town a month ago and my only mates are the ones at the shop so far. they have been super helpful but the problem is still yet to be solved. have a cdi you would part with, or anyone else for that matter?

• rmhrc630

Posted September 13, 2006 - 10:42 PM

nope, no buddies with cdi's. i just moved to town a month ago and my only mates are the ones at the shop so far. they have been super helpful but the problem is still yet to be solved. have a cdi you would part with, or anyone else for that matter?

yeah I do.

First off though try Honda OEM

I just bought a new XR650L CDI for about $100US last week (brand new from Honda)

So if I were you check with either TT or Service Honda.

Hell if it's not the CDI you can always sell it on here or ebay?

I'm happy to sell mine (one is old one is brand new) but really probably easier to get one from your country and also quicker?

• wundah

Posted September 14, 2006 - 07:09 AM

thanks, i'll look into it.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 17, 2006 - 03:16 PM

Hey dude

any updates on how your 650L is going?

I would really love to know how the thing is progressing.

Was it the CDI

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.