Stripped Bolt Need Help!

6 replies to this topic
  • Alex_YZ450F

Posted August 23, 2006 - 03:37 AM

Hi,
I was changing the oil on my 450 and accidentally overtightened the right side lower crankcase drain bolt. In doing so I stripped a fair, 1/4'', amount of threads off of the inside (not the bolt). My question is; will I be ok with just putting on a new bolt, the flange on the current one is crooked, or should I get it re-tapped? The bolt is out of the bike and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

• CRFThumper

Posted August 23, 2006 - 03:43 AM

You may get lucky and be able to use a longer bolt if not it will need to be fixed. Maybe a helicoil would do the job for you,I would be very careful with this as it is a oil drain!

• Alex_YZ450F

Posted August 23, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted August 23, 2006 - 09:23 AM

The best fix would be a timesert which comes in a kit for the size you require, it will be permanent and will not strip out again, if you google timesert you should come up with their website and you can order direct. Mike

• never59

Posted August 23, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Either of those will work fine alex. It is pretty scary to drill into a piece of magnesium, especially when you are dealing with oil but it is a really easy process to do. Take your time and you will be pleasantly suprised how easy it is to fix! good luck

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2006 - 12:40 PM

"Lower right side" sounds like an '06. If so, I'd like to know:

What does magnesium have to do with it? (the crankcase is aluminum), and,

How do you propose to drill or tap into that hole? (the rear of the engine has to be raised far enough to get the drain hole out from behind the frame)

• Alex_YZ450F

Posted August 23, 2006 - 02:08 PM

Yes it is an 06, and because of how cramped it is I am going to take out the engine.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.