• painkilla

Posted August 23, 2006 - 12:16 AM

how bad is jump starting my xr650 ?

i normally jump start mine every morning

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 23, 2006 - 09:17 AM

how bad is jump starting my xr650 ?

i normally jump start mine every morning

I take it you mean Bumb starting? If so I don;t think bump starting an XR hurts it much at all. If you mean it is an XR650L, and you mean jump starting....like from a car battery...Id first ask why you don;t buy a new battery at walmart for 30 bucks, but yes jump starting a bike from a car can potentially ruin your entire electrical system because it is so many cranking amps compared to a motorcycle.

• motomonte

Posted August 23, 2006 - 05:26 PM

You can jump start it from a car,It"ll start right up no problem.BEWARE of the high amperage of an automotive battery,It has so many more AMPS it could FRY something...If you mean bump starting (like putting it in motion and dumping the clutch)first get a really steep hill and try 2nd or better yet 3rd gear,providing youre on pavement.If your in the dirt...thats where a good tire pays out.

• cleonard

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:19 PM

If you are jump starting an electric start bike (XR650L) with a car, the key is to not have the car running. If the car is running the the voltage is higher. If it's higher than the regulator on the bike, the bike regulator may try and bring the voltage down. The car alternator may have enough amperage to fry the regulator on the bike. If the car is not running then this is not an issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • painkilla

Posted August 23, 2006 - 08:22 PM

hey thanks guys
yeah i ment bump starting my xr650r

\m/

• cleonard

Posted August 23, 2006 - 08:44 PM

hey thanks guys
yeah i ment bump starting my xr650r

\m/

If I'm on any kind of hill, I always bump start my 600. I've been doing it with every dirt bike that I have ever owned.

Use the hill and save your leg.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 24, 2006 - 07:50 AM

Man, on my supermoto XR610R there is no way I could bump start it! It has too much compression. If I got rolling about 30 and had it in third maybe...but first or second...can you say lockup! Why do you bump start your XR650R? Is it impossible to start by kicking it? Or, are you short like me?

• XRR

Posted August 24, 2006 - 12:30 PM

Man, on my supermoto XR610R there is no way I could bump start it! It has too much compression

If it won't turn over (just skids the rear wheel), pull the decomp lever to get it past the compression stroke then release, a bit tricky to do while simultaneously dumping the clutch but it works.

Thats what I do on mine when I'm bump starting it on a loose hill and the rear wheel slides because there's no grip, a quick pull on the decomp lever to get the engine turning over and it usually starts up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with bump starting, it sure beats kicking a stalled bike on the side of a steep hill. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.