WR426/450 gear troubles

1 reply to this topic
  • mark63

Posted August 22, 2006 - 05:53 AM

I have a 426 and have heard a few stories of riders having to rebuild gearboxes every year after continuing gear failures. A buddy recently blew 3rd, but has not stripped it down as yet. My question is has anyone got a fix if this could be an on going problem. I have heard of a need to chamfer gears a bit?
Cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonova

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:06 AM

It will only be an on going problem if you re install gears that are worn. If you put all new gears you will not have an issue. If your buddie only replaces 3rd gear he could very well have problems with the other gears.

I rebuilt the trans on my 426 about 6 months ago and replaced 2nd, 4th and 5th both wheel and pinion gears. The others really looked good so I didn't replace them...... Maybe I should have. Also, replace all the shift forks, it will feel like a new transmission when you are done. Good luck and don't be cheap when replacing gears, it will come back to bite ya.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.