Fixing crack in case..

3 replies to this topic
  • Btwick

Posted August 21, 2006 - 06:45 PM

Has anybody used JB Weld to fix a crack in a case? Or should I go through the trouble and $$ to get it Tig welded.

This is for my son's CRF 70 and not my 426, but you guys are smart..

Thanks in advance..

• FFRacing79

Posted August 21, 2006 - 08:17 PM

Where is the crack? Tdub

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450_rider

Posted August 21, 2006 - 09:27 PM

My right case got a crack in it where it bolts to the frame and i dished out the cash to get it welded, nothing like piece of mind knowing its done right.

• Btwick

Posted August 22, 2006 - 06:41 AM

The crack is right at the bottom of the exposed case - about 2.5 inches long. It is not near any plugs, mounting brackets, or bolts.

Did some investigation and will try the JB Weld as it is supposed to work for this kind of thing. I'll clean it well, and maybe grind out a small "V" or channel on the crack to ensure the material has a place to bond.

Since it is my kid's bike, and he already has moved up so this is a spare pit bike, I will go the cheap route first.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.