Jet Needle thingie - just to be sure

5 replies to this topic
  • spotsboss

Posted August 21, 2006 - 04:33 PM

On the stock 650R carb, just above the main jet, is a little sleeve (tube) about 3/8" long that the tapered part of the needle goes into. The hole in one end of the tube is slightly bigger than the other.

The bigger end of the tube goes UP, right? Or does the smaller end go up?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

• Max Power

Posted August 21, 2006 - 06:00 PM

On the stock 650R carb, just above the main jet, is a little sleeve (tube) about 3/8" long that the tapered part of the needle goes into. The hole in one end of the tube is slightly bigger than the other.

The bigger end of the tube goes UP, right? Or does the smaller end go up?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Smaller end up.

• Max Power

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Here in a snapshot from the 650R manual.

Posted Image

I think you are talking about the needle jet holder. Hard to tell from the drawing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted August 23, 2006 - 09:13 PM

I'm sure he's talking about the needle jet (not to be confused with the jet needle or "needle" that is so often mistakenly called the needle jet). You'll find that it will only go in one way. Well, it will go in the wrong way but the needle jet holder won't seat or screw in properly if the needle jet is backwards. One end of the needle jet is ever so slightly larger in diameter than the other end.

The end facing you in this pic goes in first:

Posted Image

• spotsboss

Posted August 24, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Right on, Hawk - - thanks. I finally figured it out yesterday. The tube diameter is .010 bigger on one end than on the other. That's enough to make it not go in the hole if you try to put it in upsidedown.

The confusion is in the HOLE sizes on each end. You have to talk about the hole diameters OR the tube diameters because the end with the bigger hole is the end with the smaller diameter tube.

Big hole up, small tube up.

As DB says, "The devil is in the details."

• Max Power

Posted August 24, 2006 - 07:03 AM

Right on, Hawk - - thanks. I finally figured it out yesterday. The tube diameter is .010 bigger on one end than on the other. That's enough to make it not go in the hole if you try to put it in upsidedown.

The confusion is in the HOLE sizes on each end. You have to talk about the hole diameters OR the tube diameters because the end with the bigger hole is the end with the smaller diameter tube.

Big hole up, small tube up.

As DB says, "The devil is in the details."

Bigger I.D/smaller O.D. up. That devil can be a real trouble maker.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.