yz250 or 450f

13 replies to this topic
  • yamaharider30

Posted August 21, 2006 - 02:19 PM

i am riding a 250f rite now and i want to upgrade i love the two stroke and the power but just wondering if i should get a 450 i am thinking i wouldn't be able to start it..heard there is alot of compession.. so just wondering ur 2 cents... thank you :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 21, 2006 - 10:59 PM

i am riding a 250f rite now and i want to upgrade i love the two stroke and the power but just wondering if i should get a 450 i am thinking i wouldn't be able to start it..heard there is alot of compession.. so just wondering ur 2 cents... thank you :thumbsup:

It won't be any harder to start than the bike you already have

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted August 22, 2006 - 12:27 AM

Since this is the WR450 forum, i would recommend the WR450 with electric start. :thumbsup:

• 450high

Posted August 22, 2006 - 02:49 AM

4fidy rules

• rtrolli69

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:57 PM

they are as easy to start as your bike.wr is real easy with the button or without,i love it.The truth is a 450 yzf or wr will out run a 250cc 2stroke and a yz250f.the newer bikes with auto decomp are easy to start.the Wr is easier to start after you drop it hot with the button than kicking it.Great advantage.russ

• RC81

Posted August 23, 2006 - 10:56 PM

they are as easy to start as your bike.wr is real easy with the button or without,i love it.The truth is a 450 yzf or wr will out run a 250cc 2stroke and a yz250f.the newer bikes with auto decomp are easy to start.the Wr is easier to start after you drop it hot with the button than kicking it.Great advantage.russ

I own both. Depends on where and what kind of riding you do. If you like the snappy two stroke feel you cant go wrong with the newer YZ. For trails I much prefer the WR. Not so sure on the statement the WR is quicker than the YZ. Faster probably but quicker no. That YZ flat hauls to a point.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 24, 2006 - 12:22 AM

I own both. Depends on where and what kind of riding you do. If you like the snappy two stroke feel you cant go wrong with the newer YZ. For trails I much prefer the WR. Not so sure on the statement the WR is quicker than the YZ. Faster probably but quicker no. That YZ flat hauls to a point.

I haven't speant enough time on a WR 450f (nobody I know has one) but with my brief experience with one it felt like it could go toe to toe with a 250 smoker. One advantage the WR has its ability to hook up the rear tire on any kind of surface (with copious amounts of throttle control) where a 250 smoker would just break loose and spin violently. The weight of the WR would be the only thing holding it back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RC81

Posted August 24, 2006 - 10:37 PM

You are correct on both points. Unless you want the Green Sticker I would go YZ450. Quick and light and rideable on track and trail.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 24, 2006 - 11:43 PM

You are correct on both points. Unless you want the Green Sticker I would go YZ450. Quick and light and rideable on track and trail.

Its funny you should say that. My original plan was to sell my TT-R 250 next summer and put the proceeds plus some money I have put aside for a new bike towards an 07 WR 450f but now I'm seriously thinking of keeping the pig for the summertime and financing a YZ 450f for the red sticker season. At this time I think plan A ( The WR) is the more financially responsible one.

• johnnyjeep

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:04 AM

I dont think Yamarider30 from New Brunswick needs to worry about those silly Kalifornia stickers. I could be wrong.

John in Vegas

• texas_hippie

Posted August 25, 2006 - 05:34 AM

I dont think Yamarider30 from New Brunswick needs to worry about those silly Kalifornia stickers. I could be wrong.

John in Vegas

True, true.....I don't think the Governator of Kaw-lee-fawn-yah is gonna come looking for him.

• RC81

Posted August 27, 2006 - 12:16 AM

John in Vegas

Your right, I didn't see where he was from. In that case I definitely would go YZ instead of WR. I would have but I needed the sticker.

• Yroc

Posted August 28, 2006 - 03:50 PM

I'm a lost smoker here in your forum, so I'm going to put in one GIANT vote for a YZ250 2-stroke!! Love it, love it, love it. I'd own both if I had the funds, but for fun-factor at 300%, and can do every type of riding, I love my YZ250!!

• johnnyjeep

Posted August 28, 2006 - 04:58 PM

I'm a lost smoker here in your forum, so I'm going to put in one GIANT vote for a YZ250 2-stroke!! Love it, love it, love it. I'd own both if I had the funds, but for fun-factor at 300%, and can do every type of riding, I love my YZ250!!

I bought my WR to ride with my kids and to replace my RM250, with the understanding that I would sell the RM. Its been almost 4 months and I still have both, love both.

John in Vegas

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.