Airbox Drain

6 replies to this topic
  • Oldsmobiler

Posted August 21, 2006 - 11:53 AM

Can I remove the clear tube at the bottom of my airbox? I washed the bike the other day and the airbox got quite a bit of water in it. Can I permanently remove the clear plastic tube to drain water or does it have to stay on?

Ante

• Jackazz

Posted August 21, 2006 - 12:07 PM

You'll want to put it back on when you're done cleaning & draining the airbox. You don't want water flowing into the hole while crossing a creek or if you drop the bike in water.

Apparently alot of guys get a part from the Honda XR650's that either has a one way valve, or a sort of "pinch valve" to let the water out witout actually having to remove the tube.

Personally, I just check mine it whenever the bike gets wet.

• GCannon

Posted August 21, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I take my drain tube off. Then put a length wise slice in it with a razor blade. the slice should be down when reinstalling so that the water in the airbox will drain out the slit but river water pushing on the outside of the tube will close the slit and no water (maybe a few drops) will enter the air box and if some does then it will drain out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450high

Posted August 22, 2006 - 02:59 AM

removed mine and put a short piece of tube with a plastic garden sprinkler tap on the end.Just crack tap to check for water in air box.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 22, 2006 - 06:20 AM

This all sounds good, but what about the hose going from the airbox to the head?

If you got water in the air box, wouldn't it travel to the head through the other hose?

• tarry

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:42 AM

This all sounds good, but what about the hose going from the airbox to the head?

If you got water in the air box, wouldn't it travel to the head through the other hose?

The other hose has pressure coming from the motor when running,it would get in the motor if you dunk the bike in some deep water with it off. :thumbsup:

• Few

Posted August 23, 2006 - 02:40 PM

I took mine off and cut just the crimp/welded edge off with a blade.
Then I took my heat gun and warmed up the cut off end till plyable.
I put the warmed end in a clamp/vise untill cool.
I ended up with the same type of pinch valve as the one on my Honda XR600.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.