2006 Steering problems please help

6 replies to this topic
  • yzfireguy

Posted August 21, 2006 - 09:14 AM

I just picked up my brand new 06 450 and am greasing all the bearings and after greasing the steering bearings I was tightening that funcky bolt that goes over the top bearing and cover. The one that you need that special tool to use. I just used a one sided 45 degree punch to tighten it but I'm not sure how much I should tighten it? Any one have any good ideas? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2006 - 09:27 AM

On page 5-52 of your manual, it says to tighten the ring nut to 5.1 ft/lbs. (roughly, 1/8-1/6 turn past the point where the bearings are fully seated) Then slide the forks in the lower clamp and temporarily tighten the pinch bolts. Set the top clamp in place with the pinch bolts loose, and tighten the top nut to 105 foot pounds.

• barch88

Posted August 21, 2006 - 09:54 AM

Me and my Dad just tightened her up nice and good, then went back about one good notch. We also used a punch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe_Jet

Posted August 21, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Min should have no play and bars fall to one side or the other on stand. I run mine a little tight. I like the friction and it doesn't seem to wear the headset bearings. Also, remember that it will get a little tighter when you torque the lats nut on top of the triple clamp.

• 02YZ426

Posted August 21, 2006 - 04:21 PM

It's best to use a torque wrench if you can, it takes the guess work out. You can do it without one though. Tighten the lower nut until you feel almost no drag on the bearings, then tighten the top nut and see how it feels. Once you tighten the top one, it will preload the bearing. It might take a few tries until it feels right.

• dirtflea

Posted August 21, 2006 - 04:32 PM

After all is said and done it should take about 4-5 lbs. of force to turn the handle bars while on the stand. If the fron end turns to one side or another by itself it is to loose. I have heard of guys using a fish scale and fishing line to check the tension amount needed to turn the bars. I also us a punch to tighten mine.

• at_ecd

Posted August 21, 2006 - 10:20 PM

I also use a punch to tighten mine. I also use the method of tightening until the bearings are seated, then with the front wheel on, you grab the bottom of the forks and pull back and fourth. The front end has to be straight when doing this. Just tighten from there until there is no play in the bearings. Same thing as a bmx fork. Easy way if you dont have the proper tools.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.