The after market digital speedometers, a ?

9 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 21, 2006 - 02:55 AM

I'm just curious as to how legible they are at night? What color do they light up or don't they have a color to them and are just boring black and white illuminated? Can you actually adjust the brightness like on a car?

Anyone have a nighttime shot of one?

• snaggleXR650

Posted August 21, 2006 - 05:45 AM

I use the Service Honda speedo (Electrosport/Acewell). It is backit with dark characters. I have no pic of it, but it's easy to read day or night. I'm sure the newest Trailtech would be as easy to read.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 21, 2006 - 07:25 AM

I have the Trailtech Endurance, has a backlight but you have to push a button. It is fairly dim but you can read it fine at night. I am selling it and buying the new TT Vapor, it has a better readout, as in less busy, and better looking. Also has a backlight that stays on all the time, as it hooks up to power from the motorcycle. Plus the backlight is WAYYYY brighter which I personally like. Vapor also has a tach as well as speedo ans tripmeter and a thousqand things more,,,check it out here.

• rmhrc630

Posted August 21, 2006 - 11:40 AM

I reckon with cost v fucntions that surely gps is now getting to be a viable option?

I mean you get all the speedo fucntions with mapping on some units.

They're gettig more friendly all the time now

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 21, 2006 - 11:48 AM

vapor is only 100 bucks, what god GPS is that cheap? I want one if so!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thouk

Posted August 21, 2006 - 12:05 PM

If you can spend out thirty dollars more the Garmin Etrex Legend has mapping in a small compact unit. If you buy the Ram mount for it, heat the two retaining tabs at the top of the mount so that it does not vibrate as much in the cradle. The vibration is what people were having trouble with on this unit. I hope that helps. Have fun, Tony

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 21, 2006 - 01:14 PM

SWEET! Ill check it out for my desertsled...thanks allot! thats affordable.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 21, 2006 - 01:18 PM

That Etrex is a cool little unit, I didn;t see where it has a backlight but I assume it does?! How bright is it and can it stay on more than the typical 30 seconds?

• thouk

Posted August 21, 2006 - 03:15 PM

Yes it has a backlight. It can stay on for varying times that you choose or always on. If always on you should hook it up through an adapter to twelve volts to save batteries. Most people use the power adapter because when using the batteries with the vibration it would cause arcing which is not good for the unit. Power adapters are cheap on Ebay. I hope you get a good one. They make exploring fun. Have fun, Tony

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:28 AM

Ill definitly get one, and leave my endurance on too as it does some stuff the GPS doesn't. But a GPS is a great idea on any bike especially the desert sled wehn I finish it. Thanks again! Ill buy one next week!

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.