lacing a yamaha wheel

8 replies to this topic
  • wcrhillbilly

Posted August 20, 2006 - 10:34 PM

hey guys and gals i have a wr400 i just got my new rim and spokes in mail
my problem is my other spokes where so messed up and seized i had to use bold cutters to remove the old spokes
not paying attention to how the spokes actually looked
i ASSumed they where all the same
now that I opened my spoke kit
i find i have 18 short bend spokes and 18 long bend spokes
aka from the "nub by the hub" to the bend are 3/8 or 1/2 inch ( eyeballing no measuremant here)
and the long ones are like 3/4 or 1" from the "nub to the hub"
i first put all the longs on one side and all the shorts on the other
then i just switched it so the longs whre on the bottom whole sets of each side of the hub and the shorts where on the top whole sets of the hubs
its seams ok but i want some experts or just a bunch of opinions (besides that fact that I was a dumn ace for not paying attention to the spokes when i took it apart)
and also any tips for truing this thing would be great!
incase you cant tell from me not knowing which spoke goes where im not an expert at this yet!

• Gadsen

Posted August 21, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Check out: http://www.geocities...heel/lacing.htm

• Jackazz

Posted August 21, 2006 - 11:30 AM

hey guys and gals i have a wr400 i just got my new rim and spokes in mail
my problem is my other spokes where so messed up and seized i had to use bold cutters to remove the old spokes
not paying attention to how the spokes actually looked
i ASSumed they where all the same
now that I opened my spoke kit
i find i have 18 short bend spokes and 18 long bend spokes
aka from the "nub by the hub" to the bend are 3/8 or 1/2 inch ( eyeballing no measuremant here)
and the long ones are like 3/4 or 1" from the "nub to the hub"
i first put all the longs on one side and all the shorts on the other
then i just switched it so the longs whre on the bottom whole sets of each side of the hub and the shorts where on the top whole sets of the hubs
its seams ok but i want some experts or just a bunch of opinions (besides that fact that I was a dumn ace for not paying attention to the spokes when i took it apart)
and also any tips for truing this thing would be great!
incase you cant tell from me not knowing which spoke goes where im not an expert at this yet!

Not 100% sure I understand what the bold portion of your post means, but I would suspect that you'll have an equal # of "short" & "long" spokes on each hub flange. I'll bet that the "long" ones thread through the hub starting from the middle of the hub (with the threaded end of the spoke pointing away from the hub) & the "short" ones thread through the hub starting from the outside of the hub (with the threaded end of the spoke pointing towards the opposite hub flange). This would be the same for each hub flange.

• wcrhillbilly

Posted August 21, 2006 - 06:57 PM

yes i have 18 short bend spokes and 18 long bend spokes
i put the long bend ones on the inner circle of spoke holes aka the ones you put in pointing to the left when looking at them
and the short bend spokes i put in the out circle of the hub whre the spokes point to the right i have a picture Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msgbean

Posted August 22, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Just look at the holes where the spokes go in the hub. If you look real close you will see that the two holes next to each other are different lengths. One has a longer flange than the other so therefore the longer spokes go in the longer hole. Half of the long spokes go in one side of the hub and half in the other.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 22, 2006 - 02:09 PM

Save your self the heart ache......... Do you even have a truing stand? It would likely be well worth it just to pay someone to do it right the first time.

Just make sure you check em' every ride for atleast 3 or 4 rides after the wheel is back together and on.

• RCannon

Posted August 22, 2006 - 02:54 PM

Lace it up just as the first guys have said. You'll have it laced and trued before you coudl evev drive to the shop.

It looks complicated, but in reality its not bad at all.

If I were doing wheels daily, I would own a truing stand. Your bike will work just fine for one or two wheels.

• GCannon

Posted August 22, 2006 - 03:03 PM

Clamp the axle in the vise.

• wcrhillbilly

Posted August 22, 2006 - 04:11 PM

yes i was smart enough to making a trueing stand
and thats what i thought on my spokes that one was a little longer The ones going to the left and the small ones are going to the right like in my picture
atleast i got that part figured out
i had it spoked right
now its up to my freind on trueing it
40 bucks to true hte wheel
6 pack of corona to put in 2 wheel locks
getting back on my bike and passin the guy doing all the work!!!!
PRICELESS!!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.