650r carb adjustments

2 replies to this topic
  • GetBent

Posted August 20, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Need help. Lately, my xr650r is stalling. When I come to a stop it may idle fine, but usually just burps and dies. It then takes atleast a few kicks to start back up. Also, if I let it idle for a few seconds then quickly blip the throttle it will burp and die. I suspect it is too rich or too lean, I just don't know which. The mods to this bike are 16211-mbn-640=opened carb intake, #170 main jet, and #68 jet, and uncorked muffler. The bike has just developed this problem and have not had any issues before. I live in Dallas and temps have been over 100 degrees. I have raised the idle to keep it from stalling at lights while I find the real problem. Also, when running about 80+ sometimes it will "pop". What do I adjust and what direction. Thanks for you help. I searched for a helpful link but couldn't find one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thunderbug

Posted August 20, 2006 - 10:05 PM

Man, I had the exact same problems that you do with my Pig, tried every combination of jetting in the world and the performance was still unsatisfactory.

I finally broke down and bought a Edelbrock Quicksilver carb.

All problems solved, great carb.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 21, 2006 - 03:49 AM

It sounds like the float went out of adjustment. Its on the verge of flooding all the time. Readjust the float level to shut off the fuel 2mm sooner than the stock setting. Does this happen most often just after climbing hills (they don't have to be steep hills)?

Some desert racers only like to set the floats 1/2 to 1mm sooner shut off than stock float level. If your not racing and riding slower mountainous single track 2mm works better in my opinion. Just play with the float setting till you find the one that works best for your riding.

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.