YZ450F push/pull throttle questions

1 reply to this topic
  • mr331

Posted August 20, 2006 - 08:30 PM

I've got a question for you Yamaha 2-wheel guys. It is about my quad. Before you run off, let me explain why I posted here. I have recently converted my YFZ450 quad to a throttle system off a 2004 YZ450f. It's on and works great. Here is where I need help. I'm use to a single cable 2-stroke system and have never worked with a push/pull till now. When the throttle is closed, it is not resting up against a "stop" in the twist housing like I'm use to in a single cable system. It only stops in the "push" direction because the throttle is closed. Is this "normal"? I'm not sure if that was very clear. I guess what I'm afraid of is wearing out the cable or someone trying to "push" the throttle to the point it breaks the cable or the throttle tube where the cable attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

P.S. oh, I almost forgot. What is the hole at the bottom of the housing for? Is it a drain or something? I want to find something to plug it up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2006 - 09:55 PM

You have it basically figured out. There are two cables, an opener, and a closer, and no physical stop in the throttle reel housing. The twist grip "stops" against the closing cable only. I have seen closing cables fail, but very rarely, and I don't think it is something you should devote an excessive amount of worry to. The setup requires only the normal maintenance and inspection you would give to any other cable system.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.