My 03 L

2 replies to this topic
  • vega25

Posted August 20, 2006 - 08:09 PM

My 03 L.

I just returned from my third trip to Colorado. This year we had 6 riders, all work buddies. And we had 6 different bikes. 650L, DR650, DRZ400, DR350, KTM625, and a Husaberg 450.

For those of you who live in Colorado..... gotta love those ROCKS!!! For the third year in a row we stayed at Three Rivers Resort in Almont, just north of Gunnison. They are a motorcycle friendly place. They have everything from tent sites to 12 man cabins. We stayed in their 10 man cabin and it was nice.

We again tackled the usual places. Fossil Ridge trail, Dr. Park Trail, and the high altitude passes; Pearl, Taylor, Tin Cup, Hancock, Cumberland, Ohio, and a new one this year Scofield. We also took a scenic ride up to the Alpine Tunnel. What a thrill it was to once again leave the heat and humidity of the Smokey Mtns to enjoy the warm days and cools nights of the Rockies.

I bought my L three years ago and it was my first dual sport bike I have ever owned and only my second motorcycle. I have really enjoyed riding it and have found I am more of a technical type rider than any thing else. I love the slow rocky, tight, rooted stuff.

I found Thumper Talk about a year and half ago and I have learned some much about my bike from you guys. I have rebuilt the top end after a valve seal went bad and I have felt empowered to do more ever since.

Thanks to good old Dave, I opened the bike up. She runs great and I get a little kick in full throttle second gear. I got a Clark 4.7 gallon tank for those long rides. 14/48 gearing seems to do the trick. Super Trap pipe seemed to smooth things out too.

But I must admit my eyes have wonder sometimes to my buddies KTM and was given a chance to try out the Husaberg on a tight single track. Wow, what a difference in torque and weight.

But with all that said I am committed to the BRP. We know each other and we have been through a lot together and she has always gotten me home. She has sometimes limped home, and from this recent trip to Colorado the frame was cracked and broken in 5 different places. My plan is to strip her down to the frame, take it to a welding shop and have her put back together again.

So, once again I need some help. I have researched gearing on TT and have only found talk about front and rear sprocket changes and nothing about internal changes. What can be done to close the gap between 1st and 2nd gear? Also, a pumper carb...what advantages will I get there. The KTM and Husaberg have much better throttle response than my BRP. Can that be achieved with the L?

A few last words about my L. If you have not tried the Tera-Flex rear tire you are missing out. As one guy stated in a tread “two things will happen when you dump the clutch, you will be looking at the sky or the earth will start spinning a little faster”. The tire held up great in the rocks and on the hard ball. Having gone expensive on the rear, I went cheap on the front, a $25 Cheng Shin. That tire has been the best front tire I have had on my bike!!

The final word on my Colorado trip and the BRP is that the bike will go anywhere you are brave enough to point it.

If you’re an East Coast BRP you need to go West!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted August 21, 2006 - 04:39 AM

May be the tranny from a 600r?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 27, 2006 - 05:11 PM

May be the tranny from a 600r?

Yep- 600R tranny will go in (make sure its got the same number of splines on the countershaft as the L, early 600Rs had a weak countershaft), and you get to add kickstart as well.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.