Guts Racing seat question

13 replies to this topic
  • Summit

Posted August 20, 2006 - 03:00 PM

I'm looking into a more comfortable seat and Guts Racing keeps coming up. Do you guys just get the foam and use your stock seat cover? Or can you order a whole complete seat? Their website is a little confusing. Can you use the stock seat cover with the tall foam? I definitely think the tall soft foam is what my a$$ wants.

• MountainMax

Posted August 20, 2006 - 03:45 PM

I too (My ass) needed a softer seat, I bought the tall soft foam and new anti-slip cover for my 06 WR, if you buy stock height soft foam you can use stock seat cover but I'd go for the tall soft kit, there are also options of other brand name complete seats for just a little more...

• Desracer

Posted August 20, 2006 - 10:24 PM

I bought the tall foam with a gripper seat cover. I went softer on the foam but now wish I would have went with the XR soft. The tall foam is nice but the stock cover is too small to fit. I will say it is a big improvement over the stock set up.

• Summit

Posted August 21, 2006 - 05:00 AM

there are also options of other brand name complete seats for just a little more...

And what are these other brands?

I take it then you guys stapled the new cover over the foam onto the stock seat? How did that process go?

• ETP

Posted August 21, 2006 - 05:30 AM

I bought the Guts tall foam and gripper seat cover too. Love it. Monkey butt no more.

• Nashty

Posted August 21, 2006 - 06:36 AM

How much? Do you have a link for it?

• silverlakerider

Posted August 21, 2006 - 08:24 AM

And what are these other brands?

I take it then you guys stapled the new cover over the foam onto the stock seat? How did that process go?

You need an air stapler to do it right. I took my tall/soft foam and new cover to my local upholstery guy, paid him $10 and it's done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • silverlakerider

Posted August 21, 2006 - 08:25 AM

How much? Do you have a link for it?

www.gutsracing.com

• bigdrtrdr

Posted August 21, 2006 - 09:02 AM

Make sure to order the firm seat foam, The soft and medium break down to fast.
Both of our bikes have GUTS tall firm seats and covers.

• rooster wrooster

Posted August 21, 2006 - 09:09 AM

If you like to do it yourself, buy a 1/2" crown air stapler. You can get them at harbor freight for $40, like this one http://www.harborfre...temnumber=46365 . Get the 1/2" length staples also. Takes less than an hour to tear off the old staples and put on the new cover. Run 80-100 psi. Check that the first couple of staples are almost flush with the plastic, if not go up on the pressure.

If you buy a seat cover that is allready shaped to fit your seat, then it is very easy to put on. Almost no pulling or stretching necessary. If you buy a piece of fabric and try to use it as a seat cover then it will take some stretching and pulling to get it looking good.

• texas_hippie

Posted August 21, 2006 - 04:21 PM

Wait a minute! Are you guys actually implying that you get a chance to sit down while riding?

• MountainMax

Posted August 25, 2006 - 03:25 PM

I can't remember the brand but i read in one of my dirt bike mags they sell complete seats in one of the adds, im not home now (on vacation) but im sure they cant' be hard to find.Guts and Baja-designs both sell the same looking stuff to me, only BD has their log on it also.

• Summit

Posted August 26, 2006 - 07:12 AM

Well I just ordered the tall soft foam and black gripper cover from Guts. I'll pick up an electric stapler for the job. As soon as I get it on and go for a long ride I'll report back.

• 52wheelz

Posted August 26, 2006 - 08:38 PM

I have two WR450F's. I first bought the soft foam guts seat in stock height. I am 190 lbs and this seat is too soft for me and doesn't have enough foam. I go right through it. My son likes it and he is 165 lbs. I bought a medium firmness tall foam guts seat and that works fine for me now. I put guts seat covers on both seats.

Neither seat is as comfortable as my old XR650L stock seat. For dual sport rides, both WR's are dual sported, you wind up sitting more when on pavement and for that part of the ride, I prefer the 650L's seat.

The narrow seat of the WR is the problem. For 200 mile dual sport rides where you spend most of the time in the saddle, I prefer a wider seat that you just can't get for a WR without making the bike look ridiculous.

For aggressive trail riding, I like my WR better than any other bike I have ever owned. But for those long in-the-saddle rides, I want my XRL back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.