too much gas????

3 replies to this topic
  • kevin1209

Posted August 20, 2006 - 01:24 PM

I have a '98 400 I just bought that ran great. It's been around 105 degrees here in Dallas, TX for a while, so I haven't ridden for about a month. I started my bike about two weeks ago and ran it around the neighborhood, then parked it in my shed. It ran great. I pulled it out two nights ago to start it up. It started just fine, but if I gave it any throttle at all, it died. It starts easily with the choke on, and idles great when it's warmed up. But touching the throttle with or without the choke out makes it bog down and die. The hot start isn't stuck open, and the air filter looks pretty clean. It was HOT in my shed (120+ degrees), and now I have it parked in my garage. Like I said before, it ran great when I parked it, and it was only sitting for 2 weeks. Plus, it idles perfectly. HELP!!!!!! :thumbsup: :ride:

• kevin1209

Posted August 20, 2006 - 01:28 PM

I just thought of something...could the extreme heat have dried out my air filter? Maybe I just need to re-clean it and oil it again.
Is there anything else that someone has experienced?? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted August 21, 2006 - 09:10 AM

It could have dried out the fuel in the Carburetor float bowl. Leaving residue in the float bowl and in the small jets. A good carb cleaning and filter cleaning may be in order.

• kevin1209

Posted August 21, 2006 - 09:18 AM

I'll try that too while I'm in there. Thanks for the advice.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.