88 600r spark problems please help.

5 replies to this topic
  • scottman

Posted August 20, 2006 - 08:33 AM

:ride: I have an 88 xr with intermittent spark it has a 1year old stator and the light lights wene kicked over. I put a new coil on it fired up but ran poorly till it died no spark now . my ? is there a way to test the ignition box before I spend 120.00 for a new one, any help please sman... :thumbsup:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 21, 2006 - 12:38 PM

go to 4strokes.com, look for technical click on honda and you will find it there along with how to test the pulser couils on the stator, whihc I frankly think it is. the stator windings that run the headlight have nothing to do with the coil or spark except the are on the stator with the pulser part of the ignition system, you could un-wind all the lighting parts and still have perfect spark from the two windings that are pulser coil windings.

• rmhrc630

Posted August 21, 2006 - 12:55 PM

go to 4strokes.com, look for technical click on honda and you will find it there along with how to test the pulser couils on the stator, whihc I frankly think it is. the stator windings that run the headlight have nothing to do with the coil or spark except the are on the stator with the pulser part of the ignition system, you could un-wind all the lighting parts and still have perfect spark from the two windings that are pulser coil windings.

good work sniper

all these electrical questions make me think why dont we have a sticky for common mods to 600,650 Rs &lLs?

I mean most other forums have them

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 21, 2006 - 01:09 PM

Maybe we should do it ourselves, as in make a sticky about XR specific things, like measures, electrical values, pressures, and all the other pertinent information....hows about it mate!

heres what they say about the coils.

The two larger, black tinted, windings at 11 O'clock are the ignition primaries. The other four, from 10 to 6 O' clock are the AC windings for running the lights.

• rmhrc630

Posted August 21, 2006 - 01:32 PM

why not

let's build a stick for the 600, 650 and 650L?

we'll need many others input

happy to contribute

we'll break it down over engine, suspension, electrical, accessories, mods.

those topics should cover the entire gamut of things done to Xrs over time!!!

what do you reckon?

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 21, 2006 - 02:30 PM

why not

let's build a stick for the 600, 650 and 650L?

we'll need many others input

happy to contribute

we'll break it down over engine, suspension, electrical, accessories, mods.

those topics should cover the entire gamut of things done to Xrs over time!!!

what do you reckon?

Lets do it. Ill start compiling sites and information tomorrow sound good? Goodonya till then.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.