XR650R anti monkey butt mods.

22 replies to this topic
  • hypersthenos

Posted August 19, 2006 - 11:06 PM

Okay so I've had mine for a couple months now & have only 1 other desired modicfication. I want a more comfortable seat. Not looking for anything radical like a Corbin or anything, just something more similiar to my old XRL in comfort. I was thinking along the lines of different seat foam & cover. Don't want anything much taller, maybe just a little wider in the middle & perhaps a bit softer. Any suggestions?

• D_F

Posted August 20, 2006 - 06:40 AM

I just had an extra 1/2 inch of nice foam added to mine, put the stock cover back on it. Cost me a whole $20 locally. Probably not near as nice as Renzco or Corbin etc. but has made the bike lots more rideable for me.

• zodran

Posted August 20, 2006 - 08:21 AM

I have one of travelcades gel seats on my xrl, checking their site I didn't see anything listed for the R.
The spandura cover is sweet, breathes well and dries out fast, very very comfortable. I've ridden a KLR with a corbin, didn't care for it much, the price of the renazco and corbins are a turn off too. :thumbsup:

• wattner

Posted August 20, 2006 - 09:07 AM

Try the GUTS seat...They make soft, medium, hard in stock as well as taller height... http://www.gutsracin...daordeerpg.html

• motochris

Posted August 20, 2006 - 10:50 AM

Try the GUTS seat...They make soft, medium, hard in stock as well as taller height... http://www.gutsracin...daordeerpg.html

Who has tryed these? How is the "firmness" of the soft and medium? I'de like something for mine too.

• hypersthenos

Posted August 20, 2006 - 11:37 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I want the stock height & am assuming the "soft" foam is softer than the stocker. This may or may not help depending on the contour. Are they wider at the top or the same shape as stock? Are they actually more comfortable? Guess I may have to break down & call Guts but I would be more confident if anyone out there had some experience with this option for extended miles on the highway.

• snaggleXR650

Posted August 21, 2006 - 06:00 AM

http://www.renazco.com/

I love my Renazco, I've done 200+ mile days on it (almost all sitting down, gravel roads etc...). It is NOT a Goldwing seat by any means, but it is wider than stock in just the right places and easily 100X better than the stock seat. My seat height is the same if not lower than the stock seat. Actually this is my only complaint with it, I would like it to be a tad taller, but that's just for my height, not comfort.

Call him and make an appointment to send in your seat. You will have a good month or so to save your $. You will send your seat in and have it back within about a week. Or buy an extra stock seat on Ebay like I did and send that in.

His cost will easily be ranked some of the best $ you ever spent on your bike, I guarantee it.

• qadsan

Posted August 21, 2006 - 10:15 AM

Who has tryed these? How is the "firmness" of the soft and medium? I'de like something for mine too.

I wish I could tell you the difference between the Guts soft & medium foams from experience, but I've only used their tall soft foam. Over the years I've done over a dozen 650R seats for other people and several for myself using the tall soft foam with the Guts competition seat cover and it's my personal favorite seat foam / cover for off road & dual sport. It not only looks good, but more importantly it works very good. A+ Upgrade!

• motochris

Posted August 21, 2006 - 10:27 AM

I raced this weekend with a pair of gel seat bicycle shorts. The course was so choppy I didn't sit much, but I do know they made a difference. No monkeybutt whatsoever. Maybe thats all I need. I'll find out when I do my 130 mile loop this weekend. It usually makes my butt sore.

• atkxr600

Posted August 21, 2006 - 10:57 AM

I raced this weekend with a pair of gel seat bicycle shorts. The course was so choppy I didn't sit much, but I do know they made a difference. No monkeybutt whatsoever. Maybe thats all I need. I'll find out when I do my 130 mile loop this weekend. It usually makes my butt sore.

A good pair of bicycle shorts under the riding pants will do wonders for monkey butt!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boudroux

Posted August 21, 2006 - 12:44 PM

The 650 I purchased had a SDG soft seat and that thing is awesome!

• hypersthenos

Posted August 21, 2006 - 02:55 PM

I appreciate the idea of the gel shorts but for daily commuting it's a bit inconvenient. Just looking for the best aftermarket seat/cover to maximize comfort without spending serious $ for a custom seat.

• HC

Posted August 21, 2006 - 07:48 PM

i bought a mayer seat. I had him make it flat, so movenebt is easy its same width up front as stock
$269 + ship, quality is very good. it spreads to 13 in in the back it is not as dished as the others on hjs web site. very comfortable but I havent done any long haul, i'm still putzing with the lights, trying to get them legal.

no steel is used in the wide part like some of the heavy cruiser seats., I'll see if I can post a pic, I'm in Mount vernon, la connor area if you want to see it. i see your in washington.

• XRandWRRider

Posted August 22, 2006 - 08:02 PM

I wear bike shorts under my riding gear and commonly do 100+ mile days. With the stock seat I used to get "Monkey Butt" too. About a year ago, I bought the Tall/Soft seat foam and cover from Baja Designs for about $100. Huge Improvement! The softer foam makes a big difference.

• Ferdinand

Posted August 22, 2006 - 08:43 PM

I had a Buttbuffer -polymer insert put in my L seat, what a difference. When I get an R, I plan on doing the same thing to it. Check site by same name. :thumbsup:

• qadsan

Posted August 22, 2006 - 09:15 PM

About a year ago, I bought the Tall/Soft seat foam and cover from Baja Designs for about $100. Huge Improvement! The softer foam makes a big difference.

I believe Guts Racing supplies their tall-soft seat foam to BD and makes their seat cover as well (one in the same product). It's a terrific upgrade and definitely made a difference for me. I ride one of my 650r's on the street daily when possible and would recommend this upgrade to anyone looking for more comfort and keeping the looks sano.

• XRandWRRider

Posted August 23, 2006 - 03:33 PM

I believe Guts Racing supplies their tall-soft seat foam to BD and makes their seat cover as well (one in the same product).

Good catch. You are definitely right about the seat cover and probably right about the foam too. I forgot that their logo is on the cover along with B-D's.

• pigryder

Posted August 23, 2006 - 05:07 PM

Hey guys my seat on the R is also uncomfortable so you know what I did I just bought an L

• wcorbett

Posted September 03, 2006 - 07:27 PM

anybody know of a softer seat for the Acerbis Sahara underseat tank that is softer that the sahara seat

• MindBlower

Posted September 03, 2006 - 08:07 PM

I believe Guts Racing supplies their tall-soft seat foam to BD and makes their seat cover as well (one in the same product). It's a terrific upgrade and definitely made a difference for me. I ride one of my 650r's on the street daily when possible and would recommend this upgrade to anyone looking for more comfort and keeping the looks sano.

How much taller does it end up?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.