Air- fuel mixture

7 replies to this topic
  • motokid338

Posted August 19, 2006 - 06:01 PM

does anyone how many turns from the start the air- fuel mixture screw on a 03 yz450f is supposed to be at :thumbsup:

• PK

Posted August 19, 2006 - 11:25 PM

On pumper carbs like the modern four strokes have it's called a fuel screw and it should be 1 1/2 turns out. You can fine tune it from there if you experience any popping on deceleration. Don't go further than 2 1/2 turns out because you run the risk of the fuel screw falling out due to lack of spring tension on fuel screw. If you ever do take it out, make sure you have a rag under the carb to catch the oring and spring that are part of the fuel screw...

• motokid338

Posted August 20, 2006 - 06:50 AM

what is the black knob under the choke

• flintlock28

Posted August 20, 2006 - 04:19 PM

The black knob is the idle adjustment....You need to get a manual.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motokid338

Posted August 20, 2006 - 05:37 PM

im not familair with yz's :thumbsup: i had a ttr so everything is new and diffrent.

but i have the screw turned two turns from the end is that standard or should that be farther out

• barch88

Posted August 20, 2006 - 06:45 PM

im not familair with yz's :thumbsup: i had a ttr so everything is new and diffrent.

but i have the screw turned two turns from the end is that standard or should that be farther out

You should turn it all the way in so it won't go in anymore, then unscrew it from there...always start closed, then open it up.

• joshb

Posted August 20, 2006 - 07:20 PM

Ok start up the bike with a slightly high idle, find the spot with the air screw where the engine wants to die, then back the screw out from that point until the engine hits peak revs. Leave it there. That is how I do it.

• motokid338

Posted August 20, 2006 - 07:49 PM

I would but, IF i can get the bike started it wont idle at all as soon as i let go of the throttle it dies

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.