I tryied a YZF ofr the first time!

50 replies to this topic
  • Btwick

Posted August 25, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Well hate to say this on ThumperTalk, but what about a YZ250? Much lighter than the 450, great handling, but with enough power to get the adrenaline pumping..

Best of both worlds: the handling of the 250f and the horsepower of the 450f.

• barch88

Posted August 25, 2006 - 06:47 PM

Well hate to say this on ThumperTalk, but what about a YZ250? Much lighter than the 450, great handling, but with enough power to get the adrenaline pumping..

Great bike, I was going to get one (2006), but I jumped on the bandwagon and went to a 4-Stroke.

• Math

Posted August 28, 2006 - 06:32 AM

We'll I've thought about it... Specially because I've seen a guy riding one on a track that I go to sometimes. The bike seemed to have just as much power as the good old 85CR500r all through the powerband. What a nice deep two stroke sound!

That said, I like engines that give a decent amount of torque at low and mid range revs and the four strokes excel in that domain. I owned two strokes in the past because the old four storkes did not have any snap. Since the YZ400f is out, I feel like the new four strokes give me the best of both world: angryness of the two strokes, low end torque of a four stroke. The 450f is the king in this domain but still the 250f is not that bad at all.

I don't rev the engines much. I see guys at the track riding their bikes at high rpm all the time (even when they don't need top power...) just like Europeans driving their cars you know. I'm the type of rider that shifts a gear up... so I don't think I would enjoy a 250 as much as a 250f or a 450f.

But I'd have to try a recent 250. Honestly, the last 250 two stroke I've tried was a 88KX250 :thumbsup: . At the time, I did not fell in love with the bike as much as I felt in love with the YZ250f I've tried a couple of days ago.

As you see, I still have a little bit of shopping to do! Basically: trying a recent YZ250 and a YZ450f.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 28, 2006 - 10:03 AM

Math,

I'm in a very similiar delilema as you. I own a WR450 that I race in the woods, and on the occasional MX track. I love everything about the bike except how the suspension handles the MX jumps and ruts, and I constantly wrestle with which do I want more, the power of the 450, or the light weight of the 250. 2 buddies of mine own the YZ250F and the YZ450, so I've had good oppurtunities to ride their bikes back to back with mine for comparision.

If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do....Upgrade the suspension (heavier springs, and revalve) on your WR426 so you can ride it on the MX track, and then buy a YZ (or WR) 250F for the woods.

1) I think you would miss the power of the 426 on the MX track. With the 426, you don't have to be as perfect when your coming into jumps. You can be a gear higher and lazy when you come into a ramp, the motors got enough torge to make up for it. Whenever I ride the 250F, I'm constantly worring about what gear I'm in and maintain my corner speeds and mentally setting myself up for jumps way before I would if I was on my 450. Granted, it makes me a better rider, but sometimes you feel lazy....

2) I think you would really love the light weight of the 250F in the woods. Eventhough I don't mind the weight of my 450 when I ride it, I'm shocked at how light my buddies 250F feels when I ride his, and then when I jump back on my bike, the 450 feels likes it's a 100 lbs heavier instead of the 30-40 that it really is.

3) The YZ250F suspension is set up for a 150 to 160 lb rider. Even though the bike would be good enough at first for your 175 lbs and your skill level, I think that you would find the suspension to be sub-par as you get faster and faster on an MX track. A year or two down the road, you would find yourself wanting to upgrade the suspension in the 250F because you are bottoming it out as well. I weigh 190, and I bottom out the suspension on my buddies 250F if I over jump a jump and land in a flat spot.

That's my 0.02. Good luck with your decision.

• Math

Posted August 28, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for your answer Tom,

My WR is the perfect bike for the offroad expeditions I do. I ride trails where the 426 is a major advantage over the 250 very often. I really want to keep my "perfect trail bike".

But I know what you mean and it will be part of my thoughts as I decide what to do.

Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • joethunder

Posted August 28, 2006 - 06:48 PM

I just sold my yz426, I thought it was a great bike. I ride mostly mx. tons of power, like others have said you can be in the wrong gear and still have confidence that you can clear a jump. Well anyway, as soon as the 426 was on its way with the new owner I picked up an 04 yz 450, rode it sunday for the first time. The difference was amazing. It is so much lighter, and noticably quicker, it will take some time to get used to.
I thought about going with a 250f but, I likes the power, and the valve issues with some of the 250s scared me away. I think it would make you a better rider, but I will just be throttle conscience with the 450

I cant imagine how good the 06 must be. Not in the budget, but my 04 is almost like new, and it had some good stuff on it. I am pysched.
Joe

• BergArabia

Posted August 29, 2006 - 03:22 AM

I ride in the sand.
And going up a big dune. especially racing up.. I am pretty sure the 450 is faster than the 250..

• Math

Posted August 29, 2006 - 05:55 AM

A couple of years ago, I attended a round of the canadian nationals. The 450fs were not faster than 250fs by more than a second per lap. I would have thought the difference would have been bigger.

Went to Unadilla last month with my wife and son. My wife can't tell which bike is a 450f or a 250f if she does not see the sticker on the bike that says it. I asked her to tell me which bike were 450f and which were 250f based on speed and she could not tell even with a watch in hand...

I'm sure I won't be faster on a 450f.

What worries me the most is the suspension. I'm 175 pounds. Am I gonna be able to adjust the YZ250f stock suspension so that it won't bottom on flat landings?

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2006 - 07:31 AM

What worries me the most is the suspension. I'm 175 pounds. Am I gonna be able to adjust the YZ250f stock suspension so that it won't bottom on flat landings?

The suspension on all full sized (125+) YZ/YZF's is OEM set up for riders in the range of 175-185 pounds. My son weighs 175, and the suspension on his '01 is sprung correctly for him, IMO. I doubt you'll have any trouble with it that relates to spring rate.

• Pincushion

Posted August 29, 2006 - 10:26 AM

If you want light wieght, great handling and still have 450 like power then you should be looking at the smoker. The first time I rode my 250 all my 450 cravings dissapeared with one twist of the throttle. The new YZ250's handle like 125 class bikes, but packs 46 horsepower.

• Math

Posted August 29, 2006 - 11:34 AM

The suspension on all full sized (125+) YZ/YZF's is OEM set up for riders in the range of 175-185 pounds. My son weighs 175, and the suspension on his '01 is sprung correctly for him, IMO. I doubt you'll have any trouble with it that relates to spring rate.

Good...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.