I tryied a YZF ofr the first time!

50 replies to this topic
  • Nitroused383

Posted August 21, 2006 - 01:31 PM

I have an 04 yz450f. It took some time to get the suspension and everything set up, but now it rails corners easier than anything else i've ridden. I haven't ridden the 06 yz450f and i'm sure its nice but there are a lot of people out their who always need the latest and greatest. It only has 4 gears but that never seems to be a problem. It will wheelie in last gear at the crack of the throttle and mine goes about 85mph with 14-48 gearing. I would like an 06 but even when I get on a 10 year old 250 2 stroke I still have fun. Its just up to what you want.

• Math

Posted August 21, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Look guys. I don't really try to be competitive. I won't do racing or anything like it... I do it just for the fun of it. But I like to improve though. I like to get better you know. I won't try to catch anybody but myself. Wah ok and maybe try to catch some of my riding partners :thumbsup: But still, it's just for fun...

But even more important: I like to ride. Sometimes I go at the track and ride maybe 50% of my abilities just to be able to keep riding for 40 minutes in a row instead of 15 minutes of top pace...

The biggest jumps I've ever done are less than 40' long (but I'm working on it and I like to fly).

I'm very lucky to have a wife that supports me a lot trying to find time to ride but we can't do miracles and being the father of a really young and growing family makes moto time rare so I keep thinkin about it and I think I'll go on the 250 just to maximise the time I spend on the bike when I'm at the track.

That said, I won't take a decision before trying a 450f. The point is that when I tried that 250f, I was on a hard packed track and it was a very short and technical track. I might appreciate the 450f more on a bigger track with deep loamy burns.

I doubt I'm good enough to really feel the difference between a 04 and a 06 but if I get the chance, I'll try both. Hek I might never be able to really feel the difference in weight between the 450 and the 250... we'll see.

• Btwick

Posted August 21, 2006 - 07:11 PM

I am 210 lbs and own a 426. Rode my buddies 250F and fell in love. Felt faster on his bike than mine. That bike loves to hit berms and mine tends to stand up in corners. Love the power but the 250 is more fun. Like riding tracks mostly, and am a solid intermediate rider. Now looking to trade my 426 for an 01 or 02 250F. Damn green sticker.

• MJC476

Posted August 22, 2006 - 01:41 AM

My 2 cents worth, if you are looking at mainly riding tracks & are not too good in the skills department then go for the 250f. Your ability & confidence will grow so much quicker on one of these things than a 450. There 04 & similar 250f's are great bikes & it took the 06 450 to get me to sell mine (would have kept it if I could have both) & Math, the difference between the 04/05 450's & the 06 is so big that you would have to be in a coma not to notice

• Math

Posted August 22, 2006 - 08:24 AM

My 2 cents worth, if you are looking at mainly riding tracks & are not too good in the skills department then go for the 250f. Your ability & confidence will grow so much quicker on one of these things than a 450. There 04 & similar 250f's are great bikes & it took the 06 450 to get me to sell mine (would have kept it if I could have both) & Math, the difference between the 04/05 450's & the 06 is so big that you would have to be in a coma not to notice

Thank you for your input. As I said, I'll try the yz450f before taking a decision. If I feel the 250 has a definite weight and "energy saving" advantage, I'll go for it and just put a high comp piston in it to boost the low end a little.

I take note that many of you consider that investment in the suspension dept is crucial.

I'm sure the guys who ride the WORCS and BITD and other off road series ride with a damper but do mx pros ride with a steering damper? I went to Unadilla last month to attend the GP but I haven't notice if Carmichael and all the big heads ride with dampers. Do they?

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2006 - 09:32 AM

I doubt I'm good enough to really feel the difference between a 04 and a 06 but if I get the chance, I'll try both. Hek I might never be able to really feel the difference in weight between the 450 and the 250... we'll see.

Trust me, unless you're dead, you can tell the difference. In fact, you will immediately notice the difference in the feel of the '06 and the '04 model 450's, even as soon as you turn it around in the pits to head for the track entrance. The two bikes are within two pounds of the same weight, yet the '04 feels tall and heavy, the '06 smaller, and 20-30 pounds lighter. It feels lighter than an '04 YZ250F, even lighter than a lot of two-strokes.

• motobark

Posted August 22, 2006 - 11:10 AM

But I like to improve though. I like to get better you know.

I'd vote for the smaller bike, if you want to learn how to ride better a bike with less power rather than more is always better for learning. A big bike will teach you throttle control and how to not kill yourself. A weaker bike (not that a 250f is that weak) will teach you momentum, clutch use for acceleration, cornering, jumping, braking, and let you push yourself further and faster without fear.

I see too many guys going to a big bike too soon, without really learning how to throw a bike around. Anyone can go fast by turning the throttle, it takes skill to go fast on a slower bike. If you want to learn how to ride better, get the 250.

If you do lean towards a 450, wait until you can afford an '06, even if you have to wait 6 months or buy a used one. There is a huge difference.

• srhines67

Posted August 22, 2006 - 11:55 AM

It's just completely amazing what they are doing with the new bikes.

• Math

Posted August 22, 2006 - 05:40 PM

According to you guys (and I've seen it everywhere in the mags) the 06 is a great improvement over the 04. But the 04 was already so good... :ride: how can they get so much better? :thumbsup:

It's amazing to see they always find a new way to improve. There's gonna be an end to that sometime soon... just like the Fender Stratocaster guitar you know... or the stradivarius violin... end of the possible development... like we've reached the perfection and trying to change anything would just be worsening the piece of art...Will we reach such a point? Motocross bikes can't be improved each year and on forever?

• motokid338

Posted August 22, 2006 - 06:46 PM

I love my 450f.. although you do have to get used of it once you do it's one of the best bikes made. i rode a 250f and i felt like it had all the power i needed but i like having the extra power incase im feeling brave :thumbsup:

If you get a 450f i dont think you will regret it

:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid on a 426

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:01 PM

According to you guys (and I've seen it everywhere in the mags) the 06 is a great improvement over the 04. But the 04 was already so good... :ride: how can they get so much better? :thumbsup:

It's amazing to see they always find a new way to improve. There's gonna be an end to that sometime soon... just like the Fender Stratocaster guitar you know... or the stradivarius violin... end of the possible development... like we've reached the perfection and trying to change anything would just be worsening the piece of art...Will we reach such a point? Motocross bikes can't be improved each year and on forever?

Motorcycles have so many more moving parts than a simple violin or guitar it will take a LONG time to reach perfection

• eazrider

Posted August 23, 2006 - 06:39 AM

I have ridden an '04 450 since late '03...gave it to my son when I recently bought an' 06, There is so much difference, I wonder how my son rides the '04 as fast as he does...and I won't ride the '04 at all now...it used to be the best Yamaha I had ever owned....

• Math

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:02 AM

I love my 450f.. although you do have to get used of it once you do it's one of the best bikes made. i rode a 250f and i felt like it had all the power i needed but i like having the extra power incase im feeling brave :thumbsup:

If you get a 450f i dont think you will regret it

:ride:

I understand what you say about the extra power. I also think I can't regret buying a 450f.. Both the 250 and the 450 are great. It's a nice dilema to have to chose between the two :applause:

• barch88

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:02 AM

You would be surprised...I bet 100 years from now the technology would be so insane. I mean look how far we come over like 50 years...just keeps getting crazier.

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2006 - 08:03 AM

Motocross bikes can't be improved each year and on forever?

I said the same thing over 30 years ago, when I would have been committed for having seriously suggested that 4-strokes would ever be competitive again, or that you would one day be able to buy a 215 pound, 35+ hp 250cc four-stroke, and that it would have 5 titanium valves, and not only would it rev to 13,500 rpm, it would be almost indestructibly reliable.

You have expressed an interest in the characteristic ease of riding exhibited by the YZ250F. I remember a survey of Dirt Bike Magazine editors/contributors in which 6 of the 8 surveyed ranked the YZ250F among their top 5 favorites, 5 ranked it 3rd or higher, 4 of them owned one and 3 said it was their 1st choice, based mostly on how easy it was to ride and how much fun it was. The older YZ450 does not have those qualities (well, they can be fun, but not easy). The '06 450 does, and that's the difference. It's responsive, light to the touch, obedient, and even willing. And 3 years from now, it or some other bike will be significantly better...again.

• Math

Posted August 25, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Sorry to bring this already old discussion back on top.
Do you have any idea of the year/month of the DB issue in which you found that?
I'm asking that because I could probably find it. My cousin has almost all the issues from 1990 and up stored in his basement.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2006 - 12:01 PM

Not really, but it seems to me it was a mid-year issue about 2 or 3 years back.

Dirt Bike, not that other mag with a similar name.

• cody2

Posted August 25, 2006 - 02:38 PM

i got one going from a kx125 and i have one word...beastly.It has sooo much power i love it to death,im 6'1 200 and its a perfect size for me i dont have real long legs but it works.I find it a tad heavy but its sure a nice bike,im 17 and i think i finaly stopped growing(having my kx125 for a year,a yz125 before that had it for 3 years).My transition to bigger bikes sure worked tho i love the power and im eager to try different models

• SurvivorMan

Posted August 25, 2006 - 03:21 PM

a 450 will not make you faster, it will tire you out a little quicker though. The benefits from 450s are less valve/top end adjustments. I ride my 450 in the bottom-mid most of the time, the top end is just noisy and the 250 has got to be revving alot more which means more wear on the engine...more oil changes too. The bottom-mid is incredible on the 450. So much traction, with a offroad flywheel sold from GYTR I can lug the bike around in tight trees without stalling, however, tight trees are better on a 250f. but when you get to the big climbs, you'll be the one smiling at the top!!

• barch88

Posted August 25, 2006 - 03:25 PM

a 450 will not make you faster

A 450 will not make you faster?... :thumbsup: :ride: :applause: I'm sure it will, just turn the throttle. :applause: :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.