Missed shift 1-2

5 replies to this topic
  • 99raptor

Posted August 19, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I have a '04 yz450 with the 4 speed.I seem to miss the 1-2 shift :thumbsup: far more than would seem rider error.Never on a down shift ,always up.Always use the clutch.Anyone else have this problem?Clutch adjustment?Help.

• 450GN

Posted August 19, 2006 - 08:54 AM

just start in 2nd and get rid of first!

i dunno my friend and i both have this bike and never had this problem..

maybe lower your gear selector lever one tooth so it is lower and easier to kick up into 2nd? i lowered mine and it feels much more comfortable to me!

• darmino

Posted August 19, 2006 - 08:57 AM

Check the shift lever itself for play, just a little looseness in the lever makes it hard to get from 1st to 2nd without hitting neutral.The aluminum lever will loosen over time by itself. This happened to me during my last race, about 40% of my shifts between 1st and 2nd ended up in neutral, after the race checked the lever and sure enough it was loose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • quailboy

Posted August 19, 2006 - 09:47 AM

would you just need to replace the shift lever? mine does the same thing

• yogist

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Lower your shift lever so its makes quick firm contact with your boot..Maybe its up too high....I lowered mine..It helps ..

• ronhend

Posted August 19, 2006 - 06:19 PM

I was having the same problem until I lowered the shift lever to a lower position.

Now it hardly happens!!

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.