Smog plumbing on 650L

9 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 19, 2006 - 01:48 AM

:thumbsup: What year did Honda 1st start putting that on?

• WouldsAssassin

Posted August 31, 2006 - 11:07 AM

I think I saw one on a 95, not sure about sooner. Didn't the 650L start in '92 with the NX650 engine?

For those who've shopped around, whose got the best deal on a kit to removing this plumbing?

• CTXr650L

Posted August 31, 2006 - 05:15 PM

i got my kit to remove the smog gear from IMS, it was under $20 (dont remember exactly) but all it essentially is, is a pair of block off plates and some vacuum caps. the instructions from them were pretty well written so it should be easy enough to install...

• Ferdinand

Posted August 31, 2006 - 08:35 PM

:thumbsup: What year did Honda 1st start putting that on?

On the 650L 1993, the year it came out I believe. Not sure about NX. :applause:

• Motosprtman

Posted September 01, 2006 - 12:38 PM

upon inception 1993.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted September 01, 2006 - 12:39 PM

It is still and always has been the NX650 engine. An ealier version was also used in the GB model

• pigryder

Posted September 01, 2006 - 01:50 PM

I think I saw one on a 95, not sure about sooner. Didn't the 650L start in '92 with the NX650 engine?

For those who've shopped around, whose got the best deal on a kit to removing this plumbing?

Ive spent 0 dollars on my kit, just move some hoses and cut off the metal lines and weld the square blocks that bolt to the head shut

• Thor Hiney

Posted March 30, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Did you notice much change in output after the removal? Was it worth the effort.
I have a NX650.

• cleonard

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:01 AM

Did you notice much change in output after the removal? Was it worth the effort.
I have a NX650.

It does nothing for preformance. All the pump does is put some air into the exhaust. The charcoal canister just filters the air to the carb vents. It is only a small amount of weight.

While I have never heard of anyone ever being cited or fined for the removal, the fines on the federal level are very large. There are some reports here on Thumper Talk of people getting warned and told to go home at some of the state operated off road parks here in California. The one the I remember was a CRF450X which comes with a smog pump very much like the one on the NX650/XR650L.

If you want the bike to run better try "Dave's mods." Dave is on ThumperTalk often and his mods are detailed at http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

I don't know for sure if the NX uses the very same carb, but I'm sure that it is close. One thing that I know for sure is that your bike cam jetted too lean from the factory.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:55 AM

from the onset of the XR650L in 1993

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.