air filter oil

1 reply to this topic
  • motomonte

Posted August 18, 2006 - 05:36 PM

I just recieved an uni filter along with some jets and am ready to mod my carb but I forgot to order filter oil,Is there any oil that can be used as a substitute?any ill effects from running the filter dry(no oil)?I"ll have the oil in a few days but can't wait to try the bike after the jetting and filter mods.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted August 18, 2006 - 05:57 PM

What type of filter oil are you going to use? Alcohol-based or petroleum-based? I'll bet you could use a light oiling of some type of vegetable oil if you absolutely can't wait for foam specific air-filter oil... :thumbsup: Heck, even motor oil will work also. Just clean it out really well when you're done. Like they say, necessity is the mother of invention...

If you're just going to start & run the motor while the bike is stationary I wouldn't sweat it. I definitely wouldn't risk scoring the cylinder just to ride a bike with a dry foam filter. I would wait

Why not put/leave the stock paper element in temporarily?

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.