Do I switch from KTM300 to YZ 450?

1 reply to this topic
  • Razorback

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:45 PM

For the past 4 years I've riding a KTM 300EXC.I use it at the track as well as the desert and an occasional mountain ride.About 90% of the time I ride the local MX tracks and the 300 is a decent track bike but because of the wide ratio transmission it lacks punch and I never feel like I'm in the right gear anymore. I'm looking at a full time MX bike.The YZ450 reviews sound good to me because of the easy to use power and plush suspension.The low center of gravity makes it sound even more appealing.I don't expect to use it offroad very often so I can make do with the bike out of it's element for the 10% or less that I'm not at the track.Hard starting and expensive repairs make it sound far less appealing than a new 2 stroke but so far the YZ450 seems to be a very reliable bike.Has anyone made the switch from a 300?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted August 18, 2006 - 10:42 PM

Didn't go from a 300, but from a 525exc. I too prefer MX and the KTM just wasn't cutting it on the track. I off-road the YZ too with a GYTR full bash plate, front disc guard(acerbis) and hand guards(Cycra stealth DX). The YZ feels so much lighter on the track and it's much easier to power slide than the KTM(I think maybe the heavier flywheel was making it difficult to control in corners?). A YZ250 2stroke would no doubt be better than the 300 too if you want to stay on the smokers.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.