DR650 vs XR650L

9 replies to this topic
  • kenack

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:45 PM

Which one would you buy and why. I'm a 6'2", 250lb 54 yr old adventure rider that wants to ride this bike on forest roads in NC and out west with a trip to Copper canyon and Baja and then use it in Costa Rica. I don't want to race it and I want something different than my DL1000, so what is your recommendations.

Ken
www.kenackerson.com

• justicedone

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:13 AM

If you plan on doing trail riding and any hill climbing, the L is a more tailored machine. If your plan is more street action choose the Kawi, or Suzy.

I ride my modded L about 70/30 dirt/street and am very happy with its abilities.

• nxridge

Posted August 19, 2006 - 01:20 PM

i don't think anyone in here is gonna tell you not to buy an XR :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 19, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Which one would you buy and why. I'm a 6'2", 250lb 54 yr old adventure rider that wants to ride this bike on forest roads in NC and out west with a trip to Copper canyon and Baja and then use it in Costa Rica. I don't want to race it and I want something different than my DL1000, so what is your recommendations.

Ken
www.kenackerson.com

Try reading this review and see if it helps you at all.
XR650L - DR650 - KLX650 Review

• wheelnut46

Posted August 20, 2006 - 03:42 AM

I checked them both out before buying my XR.
They weigh the same.
Tank size is almost the same (1/2 gallon more on the DR).
The XR has LOTS of ground clearance.
The DR is a little lower.
The DR has a oil cooler sticking out the side.
The DR seems like a nice bike and I'm sure that I would have been happy with it but I bought the XR because...
It's great on the street and the seat is comfy. I suck off road so it's got a lowering link now and I can touch the ground. I was really concerned about dropping it on something pointy and spilling vital fluids all over the place, then being stuck. Nope, I needed something that could take abuse from better riders than me and still want more.
Simple, air cooled and indestructible gives me peace of mind. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • underwatersimon

Posted August 20, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Simple, air cooled and indestructible gives me peace of mind. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I Fully Agree!

• 52wheelz

Posted August 20, 2006 - 10:43 PM

The only people I know who would buy a DR over the XRL are people too short for the L. The L is better in every way other than seat height and at your height, you will be happier with the L. You should get a bigger fuel tank and probably get Applied Triple Clamps so you can move the handlebar more forward to give yourself a more spreadout cockpit.

• dukeryder

Posted August 21, 2006 - 07:34 PM

Don't know of anyone who has ridden an L on the long distance type rides that you plan on doing. IIRC the subframe on the L is pretty weak, making it not a good choice to load up with bags and gear and go off on a loooong ride.

Check out Snowriders trip report over on Advrider.com, he took a DR650 from WI to AK and then down to Baja in one trip and then this year he went from WI and through MX. Haven't seen many reports about the L on trips like that; not that it wouldn't do it, you'd just have to pack really light.

• gtallenjeeper

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:02 PM

It sounds like you will be doing a lot of commuting between trails. I really think the DR will be a better compromise between the three bikes. With stiffer springs and a good set of tires the DR will be able to go any where the XR can go, and be just as good, and be much more comfortable and able to carry your gear.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:46 PM

Don't know of anyone who has ridden an L on the long distance type rides that you plan on doing. IIRC the subframe on the L is pretty weak, making it not a good choice to load up with bags and gear and go off on a loooong ride.

I believe someone makes subframe braces to deal with that issue.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.