Tuck it in..... XR650L

15 replies to this topic
  • ajones

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hey Gang, I'm wanting to mount my turn signal closer to the bike, get the tail light mount directly to the fender, and in general narrow the profile.

I think UFO has a Number plate, head light, and blinker unit. But what about the back fender?

Do you have any pictures of your XR with a more trail friendly set-up? :thumbsup:

Thank you for your help.
AJ

• motomonte

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:58 PM

I read sometime ago in this forum that you could turn the front blinkers base (remove them and rotate the aluminum base) so they will rest a little more back,enough to keep them from touching the ground in a spill .You"ll still have enough clearance from the tank, don't know about aftermarket tanks.

• justicedone

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:01 PM

I have some close up pics (my garage)of my rear fender (stock) with the modded tail light setup. I retained part of the rubber from the stock setup to hide and protect the wiring. It came out well, and is very solid and trailworthy. Bought the tail light from four strokes only.

• ajones

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:09 PM

I'll try that in the morning. I thought I saw one time "back turn signals" that was the size of half a golf ball or egg that attached directly to the fender.

I really would like to remove the large tail light and plate holder. There are some fender undermount plate and tail light holder, but they look like mud flaps.

Ideally, I want my "L" to be more of a street legal "R"

AJ

• ajones

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:12 PM

justicedone, That's what I'm looking for on my bike. Did you move the turn signals in?

Thank you,
AJ

• drtlvr

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:14 PM

check out my l e d set up in the garage area you won't get anymore tucked than this.

• ajones

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:19 PM

drtlvr, Now were talking.... What is it? and how did you do it?

AJ

• justicedone

Posted August 19, 2006 - 12:07 PM

I didnt mess with my turn signals because the stock ones are more rugged and will work better than any aftermarket in the long run. Lots of guys run a sportbike style flush signal etc. But i have seen problems with different setups, and the stock ones are really flexible and durable.

As far as my rear light, it was a simple mod, and I ordered the rubber plate mount at the same time and just bolted plate below the light.

There are trick setups of led's etc, but this was easy, cheap..looks way better than stock..and has been through countless hours of serious offroading and a few pretty good dumps. Never a hic-up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ajones

Posted August 19, 2006 - 02:26 PM

Justicedone, One last question, did you order the wiring extension?

AJ

• jbird710

Posted August 19, 2006 - 02:56 PM

Check "My Garage" and I have some closeups of the rear fender (Maier from Dennis Kirk) and the Baja Designs LED rear tail/brake light. The blinkers you can pick up at most any motorcycle shop or Cycle Gear if there's one close to you. Be sure to get the blinkers with bulbs as others on TT have said they have problems with the LED blinkers.

• ajones

Posted August 19, 2006 - 04:42 PM

Jbird710, Very nice!! Where is the brake light? in the plate holder? With :thumbsup: fender mounted flasher....What did you do with the wires?

Right now I'm leaning toward the fender tail light like Justicedone and blinkers like jbird710. I haven't thought about the front, yet.

Be the way, my bike is older. '93 XR650L

AJ

• justicedone

Posted August 19, 2006 - 06:47 PM

I didnt have to extend the wires, they reached. If you look close you can see how I carefully trimmed and salvaged part of the rubber from the stock setup to hide and protect the wiring from the wet etc. It tucks under the tail-light and the fender bag.

I know the stock turn signals are kinda big, but they are seen by cars on the street, and I have seen many an aftermarket fail offroad from the bumps and rocks, and getting bashed when bailing. One of them things where function wins out over form for me. I do like the LED lights as well, But mines been very solid and its been put through the paces for several thousand miles offroad.

• jbird710

Posted August 20, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Jbird710, Very nice!! Where is the brake light? in the plate holder? With :thumbsup: fender mounted flasher....What did you do with the wires?

Right now I'm leaning toward the fender tail light like Justicedone and blinkers like jbird710. I haven't thought about the front, yet.

Be the way, my bike is older. '93 XR650L

AJ

The taillight is from Baja Designs: https://www.bajadesi...inframe2.aspx?c go to motorcycle accessories->taillights & headlights->taillights and it's item 60-679. This mounts to the fender with four bolts and has all of the wire you need without extension. If you use the Maier fender, it eliminates the additional metal frame that drops down to hold the stock fender on. You will need to bolt a license plate bracket to the plastic piece that hangs down in the back unless you want to bolt the plate directly to it. The problem with bolting direct is you'd have to drill holes in the license plate and there would be no where to put the inspection sticker. I cut the connector off of the stock taillight and spliced the wires to the BD taillight to keep the install sano and make the rear fender easy to remove. Did the same thing with the blinker wires. I used some small ty wraps to secure the wires to one of the fender supports and they are well out of the way of anything. The blinkers you can get most anywhere. I got a pair from a local generic motorcycle shop and I got a second pair for another fender I'm thinking about putting on at a local Honda shop. The Cycle Gear stores have them as well and they come in different colors. The ones I have are painted to look like carbon fiber and they also come in black as well as white. Even though they are tucked in, they are plenty visible at night. During the day, I use hand signals because people don't look at blinkers any way. The turn signal lights are actually marker lights like you see mounted on the roof of truck cabs and are made by a company called K&S Technologies Incorporated. They bolt directly to the fender.

One other thing is Cemoto makes a rear fender that looks like the CR motocross fender and my neighbor used it instead of the Maier. He got his from XR's Only and I ordered one from them as well. Be warned about XR's Only; some people have good luck with them but it took me 4 months, 7 phone calls, and 6 emails to get stuff they said they had in stock.

• drtlvr

Posted August 20, 2006 - 02:40 PM

I forgot I didn't have any rear veiw pics,now I do check them out in my garage.

• 52wheelz

Posted August 20, 2006 - 10:39 PM

Check out fourstrokesonly.com for a tail light replacement. Flush mount blinkers from Phillips Lockhart work and can be mounted directly to the side of your rear fender but the stock ones are very durable. I would not change the front headlight or front blinkers because they work better than anything I have seen aftermarket.

If you ride on-road much, you want blinkers that can be seen in daylight. Some of the LED lights are hard to see in the day time and we bikers are already invisable to most drivers.

• ajones

Posted August 21, 2006 - 12:38 PM

52wheelz, Excellent point about being seen. My riding habits are two weekends per year I go to Durhamtown, Georgia and ride for 14 hours in that weekend. The rest of the year I ride on the back road on Saturaday mornings.

Would it be nice to have a quick release blinkers for those offroad weekends.
Just a thought.

AJ

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.